14.0437 WWW characteristics compiled

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/28/00

             Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 09:05:19 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: Compilation of Web Characterizations

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    October 27, 2000

                        Summary of Recent Reports Measuring the Web

                             OCLC Web Characterization Project
                                 <<http://wcp.oclc.org/>http://wcp.oclc.org/>

                           BrightPlanet's Report on the "Deep Web"
                <http://www.completeplanet.com/Tutorials/DeepWeb/index.asp>http://www.completeplanet.com/Tutorials/DeepWeb/index.asp

                         UC Berkeley Project: "How Much Information?"
                         <http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/how-much-info/>http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/how-much-info/

                        Pfeiffer Report: Emerging Trends & Technologies
                     <http://www.pfeifferreport.com/trends/ett_online.html>http://www.pfeifferreport.com/trends/ett_online.html

    A good compilation by Ann Okerson of recent reports characterising the
    state of online activity (with some interspersed comments of my own).

    David Green
    ==========

     >Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 22:47:36 -0400 (EDT)
     >From: Ann Okerson <ann.okerson@yale.edu>
     >To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
     >>
     >Recently in the news, some reports regarding the size and future of online
     >information:

    1.  Latest report from the OCLC Office of Research Web Characterization
    project:
    <http://www.oclc.org/oclc/press/20001016a.htm>http://www.oclc.org/oclc/press/20001016a.htm

    2.  Report on the "Deep Web" from BrightPlanet:

    Using its own technology to find material within searchable databases, 95%
    open and free to the public, BrightPlanet's discoveries include:

    * Public information on the deep Web is currently 400 to 550 times larger
    than the commonly defined World Wide Web
    * The deep Web contains 7,500 terabytes of information, compared to 19
    terabytes of information in the surface Web
    * The deep Web contains nearly 550 billion individual documents compared to
    the 1 billion of the surface Web

    <http://www.completeplanet.com/Tutorials/DeepWeb/index.asp>http://www.completeplanet.com/Tutorials/DeepWeb/index.asp

    3.  Report from the UC Berkeley School of Information Management &
    Systems:  "How Much Information?"

    "This study is an attempt to measure how much information is produced in
    the world each year. We look at several media and estimate yearly
    production, accumulated stock, rates of growth, and other variables of
    interest."

    <http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/how-much-info/>http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/how-much-info/

    4.  And now for something completely different:  The Pfeiffer Report
    suggests that most online publications may be very short-lived in deed.
    Online content doesn't make money (for the most part).  The report
    suggests that the Internet is not a replacement for current information
    delivery models, but rather than extension of them.

    <http://www.pfeifferreport.com/trends/ett_online.html>http://www.pfeifferreport.com/trends/ett_online.html

    Ann Okerson, liblicense-l moderator
    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.