14.0453 XML & WWW: topic maps

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/31/00

             Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:04:08 +0000
             From: Christian Wittern <wittern@mail.iis.sinica.edu.tw>
             Subject: Re: 14.0449 XML and the Web

    Humanist Discussion Group <willard@lists.village.virginia.edu> (by way of
    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>) writes:

    [much interesting stuff deleted]

      > I think this is the next task for the scholarly community, maybe even
      > for the TEI consortium: to design a framework which solves these
      > problems. It would be an addition to the existing TEI or rather a
      > framework around it. Maybe some people are already working on
      > this; I would be very much interested in hearing about this.
      >
      > Fotis Jannidis

    It seems to me that the development related to topic maps (see
    www.topicmaps.org) would be worth to look at in this context. Topic
    Maps were originally developed for SGML encoded data and defined as
    the ISO standard 13250, work is now going on to port this to the XML
    world as XTM (the related workgroup is at xtm-wg@egroups.com).

    Topicmaps try to map the content of a SGML/XML encoded document in a
    way that abstracts out the concrete encoding of a specific
    instance. In my view, this provides a functionality that is missing
    from TEI but is needed to meaningful build annotations and knowledge
    bases on top off TEI encoded textual data.

    Christian Wittern

    --

       Dr. Christian Wittern
       Chung-Hwa Institute of Buddhist Studies