14.0462 self-archiving & online publishing

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 11/02/00

             Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 08:40:32 +0000
             From: Jennifer De Beer <jennifer_de_beer@yahoo.com>
             Subject: Re: 14.0394 self-archiving & online publishing

    [Apologies for the belated publication; this message went astray
    somehow.... --WM]

    Willard and Colleagues:

      > I wonder, though, if everyone would self-archive. To
      > what degree are people
      > in the humanities, say, worried about someone else
      > "scooping" them?

    Having attended a presentation by Herbert Van de
    Sompel (one of the founding figures of the Open
    Archives initiative) on the OAi (then called the
    Universal Preprint Service) I was led to understand
    that self-archiving would in fact play the role of
    registration of the/my idea within the relevant
    academic community, thus eliminating the need for
    concerns around 'scooping'. How successfully this
    works in practice I'm unsure. Recognition of such
    self-archiving may also be related to how established
    such an archiving service is.

    It is also my impresion that (some of) those in the
    Humanities feel that such fast turn-around times on
    Humanities research might be detrimental to the
    discipline. It is as if the pot needs to simmer a
    little longer than cf. those in the hard sciences.
    Erroneous! I believe, but indeed sadly true.

    What may also retard the adoption of self-archiving
    within the Humanities is that, I suppose, the majority
    of those outside Humanities Computing units generally
    lack the know-how to self-archive.

    Regards,

    Jennifer De Beer

    =====
    --
    Jennifer De Beer

    Spanish & Linguistics - University of South Africa
    IT - Stellenbosch University, SA

    *It's not the 90s anymore*