14.0464 XML & the WWW

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 11/02/00

             Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 08:37:38 +0000
             From: "Fotis Jannidis" <fotis.jannidis@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
             Subject: Re: 14.0456 XML and the WWW

      >          From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu>

      > Currently there are ways to get around this problem and expose the power of
      > the xml's auxiliary technologies.   One approach is to generate, by
    means of
      > xslt, thick html that replicates the data structure of a document by using
      > html's existing structural tags -- p, div, span, etc. -- and adding id and
      > class attributes to them.  Individual words or lines can then be tagged and
      > linked either directly or indirectly (mediated by a menu of links) to
    server
      > side queries that use the various xml linking and searching technologies to
      > retrieve text and generate more thick html.

    I didn't want to say that it is technically impossible to make the
    structure of an edition accessible. My claim is, that even the
    structure of an xml edition using TEI is not accessible by itself on
    the net and some kind of menchanism has to be found for this
    purpose.
    Because this is an obvious problem we, the people who make
    editions targeted for the net, should try to agree on *one* way to
    solve this problem, maybe in a kind of framework which can be used
    as an extension to TEI.
    btw, I don't think that xml aware clients will be the solution for this
    problem, because of the size of the editions.

    Thanks for the information on topic maps. This sounds interesting.

    Fotis Jannidis