14.0495 ELECTRONIC JOURNALS: CURRENT ANALYSIS, NOT FORECASTING

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 11/15/00

             Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:15:18 +0000
             From: Stevan Harnad <harnad@COGLIT.ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
             Subject: Tenopir, C. (2000) ELECTRONIC JOURNALS: CURRENT ANALYSIS,
    NOT FORECASTING

    The following has just been published in Psycoloquy
    (retrievable at the URLs indicated):

    REPLY:

    Tenopir, C. (2000) ELECTRONIC JOURNALS: CURRENT ANALYSIS, NOT FORECASTING
    Reply to 6 Reviewers on Electronic-Journals
    PSYCOLOQUY 11(125)
    ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Psycoloquy/2000.volume.11/
    psyc.00.11.125.electronic-journals.8.tenopir
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/cgi/psyc/newpsy?11.125

          ABSTRACT: The primary purpose of "Towards Electronic Journals"
          (Tenopir & King 2000a,b) was to report the current state of
          scientific journal publishing, not to predict the future of the
          field. We respond to charges that our work treats scientific
          publishing as a homogenous entity rather than differentiating among
          individual subject areas. We defend the validity of our data and
          models as benchmarks, rather than predictors. Despite the
          weaknesses identified by the critiques, the book develops several
          themes for future consideration and provides sound indicators of
          scientific journal publishing and its affect on scientists'
          readership, authorship, information seeking patterns, and on
          library and intermediary services.

    ORIGINAL TARGET ARTICLE (BOOK PRECIS):

              Tenopir, Carol, and Donald W. King (2000b) Precis of: "Towards
              Electronic Journals." PSYCOLOQUY 11(084)
              ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Psycoloquy/2000.volume.11/
              psyc.00.11.084.electronic-journals.1.tenopir
              http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/cgi/psyc/newpsy?11.084

              ABSTRACT: This precis of "Towards Electronic Journals" (Tenopir
              & King 2000) focuses mostly on scientists' perspective as
              authors and readers, how changes over the years by publishers
              and librarians have affected scientists, and what they should
              expect from electronic journal and digital journal article
              databases. We describe some myths concerning scholarly journals
              and attempt to assess the future in a realistic manner. Most of
              our primary data involves U.S. scientists, libraries and
              publishers, but much of the secondary data is from a European
              perspective, which shows few differences.

              Tenopir, Carol, and Donald W. King (2000a) Towards Electronic
              Journals:  Realities for Scientists, Librarians, and
              Publishers.  Washington, D.C.: Special Libraries Association.
              http://www.sla.org

    6 REVIEWS:

    Algarabel, S. (2000) The Future of Electronic Publishing. PSYCOLOQUY
    11(092) ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Psycoloquy/2000.volume.11/
    psyc.00.11.092.electronic-journals.5.algarabel
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/cgi/psyc/newpsy?11.092

    Bookstein, F.L. (2000) On "Value-Added" by Electronic Journals:
    Infelicity of a Microeconomic Metaphor. PSYCOLOQUY 11(090)
    ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Psycoloquy/2000.volume.11/
    psyc.00.11.090.electronic-journals.3.bookstein
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/cgi/psyc/newpsy?11.090

    Ebenezer, S. (2000) Electronic Journals: Incremental Change or Radical
    Shift?  PSYCOLOQUY 11(091)
    ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Psycoloquy/2000.volume.11/
    psyc.00.11.091.electronic-journals.4.ebenezer
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/cgi/psyc/newpsy?11.091

    Medeiros, N. (2000) Publication Costs: Electronic Versus Print.
    PSYCOLOQUY 11(089)
    ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Psycoloquy/2000.volume.11/
    psyc.00.11.089.electronic-journals.2.medeiros
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/cgi/psyc/newpsy?11.089

    Miller, L.N. (2000) Will Electronic Publishing Reduce the Cost of
    Scholarly Scientific Journals?  PSYCOLOQUY 11(093)
    ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Psycoloquy/2000.volume.11/
    psyc.00.11.093.electronic-journals.6.miller
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/cgi/psyc/newpsy?11.093

    Shum, S.B. (2000) Research Needed on Online Usage and Peer review.
    PSYCOLOQUY 11(094)
    ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Psycoloquy/2000.volume.11/
    psyc.00.11.094.electronic-journals.7.shum
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/cgi/psyc/newpsy?11.094