14.0498 amounts of information

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 11/15/00

       [1]   From:    Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>               (7)
             Subject: information

       [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>         (13)
             Subject: what's information?

             Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:18:23 +0000
             From: Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>

    I believe that the estimate of 1.5 billlion gigabytes yearly may be a
    painfully conservative value for the total information generated per
    year. Information is synergistic in its effects and affects. One item of
    "new" information, say ,one fact, is capable of producing great amounts
    of further information. It can lead to many parallel or diverging ideas.
    If the estimate is limited to published information, the estimate could
    be considered reasonable. Randall