14.0500 pay for access; Kairos; learning & teaching

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 11/20/00

       [1]   From:    scaife@uky.edu                                     (109)
             Subject: [STOA] Digital-Library Company Plans to Charge
                     Students a Monthly Fee for Access

       [2]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (43)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: the Fall 2000 issue _Kairos: A Journal for Teachers of
                     Writing in Webbed Environments_ with theme "Critical

       [3]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (90)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: [EdResource] How does technology change learning and
                     teaching in formal!

             Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:14:35 +0000
             From: scaife@uky.edu
             Subject: [STOA] Digital-Library Company Plans to Charge Students a
    Monthly Fee for Access

    This article from The Chronicle of Higher Education
    (http://chronicle.com) was forwarded to you from: scaife@uky.edu

    Tuesday, November 14, 2000

    Digital-Library Company Plans to Charge Students a Monthly Fee for Access
    By GOLDIE BLUMENSTYK

        A new digital-library company that claims it will "transform
        how academic research is done" hopes to entice students to pay
        as much as $360 a year for online access to searchable books
        and journals.

        The company, Questia Media, is relying on a classic Internet
        marketing strategy called "viral marketing" to create a buzz
        about itself among students. The strategy uses a tell-a-friend
        e-mail campaign to "create a hype" for its service even before
        it begins in January, according to Ann Brimberry, the
        company's manager of marketing and public relations. The
        e-mail messages include an offer of a free monthlong trial of
        the service.

        Questia says it will have more than 50,000 scholarly books and
        journals in its electronic collection by January, and five
        times as many by 2003. The company says its service will help
        "time-crunched students" write their papers more quickly.

        Questia will sell subscriptions to its collection for $20 to
        $30 a month, depending on the price the company ultimately
        sets. For that amount, users will be able to search for topics
        by keyword, copy the material into their papers
        electronically, and have the footnotes for those references
        created automatically. For papers submitted electronically,
        the footnotes can be hyperlinked to the source document, which
        would allow a reader of the paper to check them with a simple
        click of the mouse -- assuming, of course, that he or she is
        also a Questia subscriber.

        Troy Williams, a 1998 Harvard Law School graduate who is
        Questia's founder, president, and C.E.O., says the service's
        search-and-copy features respond to the way students really do
        their papers. "They're not reading the books," says Mr.
        Williams.

        The company has circulated news of the offer through e-mail
        messages and postings on several discussion lists used by
        librarians. The e-mail technique is similar to one used to
        promote the free Hotmail e-mail service and other Internet
        products, not to mention movies such as The Blair Witch
        Project. Several thousand people have signed up for the offer
        already, Ms. Brimberry says.

        Whether those users and paying customers will find the service
        helpful, however, is far from certain. Questia boasts of
        signing 135 publishers willing to make some of their titles
        available through the service. At a time when many publishers
        are still wary about electronic distribution, that's no mean
        feat. But a good deal of what the publishers are providing is
        out-of-print material, which may prove less useful to the
        liberal-arts undergraduates the company is focusing on as its
        prime market.

        Ann Okerson, associated university librarian at Yale
        University, says that she has had indications that the company
        is assembling a legitimate collection, but she adds that she
        hasn't seen what Questia plans to offer. "You don't yet know
        what's inside the black box," says Ms. Okerson, who has just
        agreed to serve in an unpaid position on the company's new
        Librarian Advisory Council.

        The company, based in Houston, has raised $130-million in
        venture capital and is expected to go public eventually. It
        has also attracted as members of its unpaid Advisory Council
        the likes of Barbara Bush; John Seely Brown, the chief
        scientist for Xerox; and Clifford Lynch, the director of the
        Coalition for Networked Information.

        Questia's business model, which relies on the sale of
        subscriptions to individuals, is one that a rival, netLibrary,
        had previously tried as well. But netLibrary has since
        abandoned the approach because it was costly and because the
        company found that winning business directly from libraries
        gave the company more credibility.

        Some academics, including Ms. Okerson, have also worried that
        the Questia service could be too expensive for some students,
        putting them at a disadvantage to wealthier classmates. At
        Yale, she says, people would say, "You don't create a set of
        have and have-not users."

        She says one reason she joined the library board was to try to
        persuade the company to consider selling institution-wide site
        licenses, so that all students could have access to the
        service. Questia says it has no plans to offer such licenses.

        As for how Questia might affect the way students research and
        write, Ms. Okerson says the service just creates a more robust
        approach to what many already do now with information they
        locate on the Internet. "I keep hearing this called the
        'cut-and-paste generation,'" she says. "It's going to be up to
        teachers and librarians to keep instilling the values of
        teaching and research."

    Chronicle subscribers can read this article on the Web at this address:
    http://chronicle.com/free/2000/11/2000111401t.htm

    [material deleted]