14.0533 negative impact of computers in the learning exprience

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 12/01/00

             Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 07:05:05 +0000
             From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
             Subject: Thoughts by Professor Al Beck on Learning, Computers &
    its Relationship

    Dear Dr. Willard McCarty,

    Hi, wishing you well and happy advent days..here is an important call from
    Al Beck, Associate Professor of Art, Retired Culver-Stockton College..on
    the negative impact of computers in the learning exprience..thought might
    interest you and other Humanist scholars..as he goes.."I write in support
    of Edward Miller and his concerns about the negative impact of computers
    in the learning exprience. We have reached the end of a microphase in
    human development. And to progress, to evolve any further, we must
    challenge the newly established technological shibboleths of contemporary
    traditional education. Previously the imaginative teacher confronted the
    angry animals of rational thinking: tests, grades, the lecture-drone, the
    present K-through-12 structure, ad infini-doldrum. The time is overdue to
    reexamine the learning exprience, its classroom connection, personal
    accountability, social responsibility, creativity and curiosity. It is
    time also to balance the rituals of rote information-gathering with
    imaginative nourishment, meditation and celebration. The computer has come
    along in human history --similar in style if not speed to its predecessors
    --at a time whe the worship of decal learning has all but erased human
    internal challenges. It will always be true that sacred cows produce
    superfluous milk...."

    And he further recommends a book by Dr. Elaine De Beauport, "THE Three
    Faces of Mind: Developing your Mental, Emotional and Behavioral
    Intelligences." To me, the book sounds good and an impressive one.
      From the book: "..The deepest brain is about the earth. It is about
    stability and security. It is about acceptance of life as it presents
    itself. It is about life and about preservation and creation, not in
    finished form, but in continuum. We are in the continuum. Life, or basic
    wave-motion energy, goes on without us and also with us as we emerge into
    existence.." The book also expressed, "Learning and Behaviour as
    Repetitive Wave Motion."

    I hope, you would like and enjoy the thoughts/ideas of Prof. Al Beck.

    Thanking you..
    Kindest Regards
    Arun Tripathi