14.0535 Pokemonian ethics & Japanese popular culture

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 12/01/00

             Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 07:05:41 +0000
             From: Hope Greenberg <hope.greenberg@uvm.edu>
             Subject: Re: 14.0496 Pokemonian ethics?

    Gerda Elata asked:
      > Or could anyone refer me to literature on pokemon - the phomenon - and/or
      > the movie?

    Pokemon is probably the most westernized, and well known to westerners,
    of the many Japanese anime productions. While the following don't deal
    specifically with Pokemon, you may find some of the articles  useful for
    exploring how anime (animated video and film) and manga (comic books)
    are interwoven with culture.

    Craig, Timothy J. ed. 'Japan pop! : inside the world of Japanese popular
    culture.' Armonk, N.Y. : M.E. Sharpe, c2000.
    (especially: Izawa, Eri. 'The Romantic, Passionate Japanese in Anime: A
    Look at the Hidden Japanese Soul.' pp. 138-153.)

    Fehrenbach, Heide and Uta G. Poiger, eds. 'Transactions, transgressions,
    transformations : American culture in Western Europe and Japan.' New
    York : Berghahn Books, 2000.

    Martinez, D.P., ed. 'The worlds of Japanese popular culture : gender,
    shifting boundaries and global cultures.' Cambridge; New York :
    Cambridge University Press, 1998.

    - Hope Greenberg (who has a daughter devoted to exploring and creating
    anime and manga!)