14.0552 corporate universities

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 12/09/00

       [1]   From:    "Robert J. O'Hara" <rjohara@uncg.edu>               (29)
             Subject: Factories, mints, and treadmills (was: corporate
                     universities)

       [2]   From:    Leo Robert Klein <lk13@is2.nyu.edu>                 (23)
             Subject: Re: 14.0546 corporate universities

       [3]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>         (37)
             Subject: assumptions, knowledge, skills

       [4]   From:    Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>              (23)
             Subject: corporate universities

             Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 06:21:25 +0000
             From: "Robert J. O'Hara" <rjohara@uncg.edu>
    universities)

    Colleagues:  I have been following with interest the discussion of
    corporate universities, and can directly relate to many of the
    observations made.  Along these lines, I wonder if anyone can point me
    to the original sources of two quotations about colleges.  The first is
    a famous remark that I know comes from Cardinal Newman, but I don't know
    where (is it somewhere in _The Idea of a University_?)  The quotation is
    something to the effect that a university is "an Alma Mater, knowing her
    children one by one, and not a factory, or a mint, or a treadmill."  (If
    Cardinal Newman were around today, he would no doubt add that it is not
    a McDonalds or a Pizza Hut, either.)

    The second quotation is vaguer.  It is something like, "a college is
    built of men, not things."  I have found an attribution to the historian
    Frederick Artz
    (http://www.oberlin.edu/~archive/WWW_files/fletcher_b.html), but that
    reference sounds like it might be secondary.  If any of the well-read
    Humanists here can identify the originals of either of these quotation I
    would be very grateful.

    I am trying to track these down so that I can use them accurately on a
    website I am developing that will warm any hearts made cold by Corporate
    U.  It is called "The Collegiate Way: Residential Colleges and Higher
    Education Reform."  I invite you to pay it a visit at

        http://collegiateway.org

    and come with me back to the future.

    Regards,

    Bob O'Hara

    --
    Dr. Robert J. O'Hara (rjohara@post.harvard.edu - http://rjohara.net)
    Biology Department, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, NC 27402 USA