14.605 digital library questions

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 02:42:13 EST

       [1] From: Digital Library education (51)
                     <dlibedu@scils.rutgers.edu>
             Subject: Survey on digital library education

       [2] From: Gerry McKiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU> (27)
             Subject: Candidates for e-Profiles

       [3] From: Gerry McKiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU> (25)
             Subject: Mega-Alerting Services

             Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:30:26 +0000
             From: Digital Library education <dlibedu@scils.rutgers.edu>

    School of Communication, Information and Library Studies
    Rutgers University

    Survey on digital library education:

    At the School of Communication, Information and Library Studies, Rutgers
    University, we are engaged in development of a general digital collection
    entitled D-Lib Edu, Resources for Education in Digital Libraries. The
    purpose is to create a collaboratively constructed resource, open to all,
    for facilitating and furthering education for and study of digital
    libraries. D-Lib Edu will include publicly available texts, activities,
    links and commentary that can be useful to students, teachers, and
    researchers concerned with digital libraries. We interpret 'digital
    libraries' in a broad sense to encompass many variations in practice,
    research and development on the general theme of organizing and accessing
    human knowledge records and collections in digital and networked
    environments.

    As a part of this effort we are conducting a survey to collect information
    about the state of educational efforts related to digital libraries. We
    are inviting responses to following questions about educational offerings:

    1. Does your institution offer course(s), seminars or institutes in
    digital libraries and/or related areas? If so, please provide as much
    information as possible, particularly including URLs.

    2. Does your institution teach digital library topics within (or as a part
    of) other courses, seminars, or institutes? If so, please provide as much
    information as possible, particularly including URLs.
    3. In what department or school are the digital library course(s) offered?

    4. On what level - undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, professional
    development?

    Please send responses to: dlibedu@scils.rutgers.edu

    The results will be used in two ways: (i) we will incorporate them,
    particularly URLs with a short description in D-Lib Edu: and (ii) we will
    synthesize them in a report addressing not only the state, but also the
    issues and challenges for digital library education.
    In a way, this survey is an effort at updating and broadening of a similar
    survey conducted four years ago: Spink, A. & Cool, C. (1999). Education
    for digital libraries. D-Lib Magazine, 5 (5).
    We are looking forward to response and collaboration to include your
    efforts.

    Tefko Saracevic, Professor II, http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/~tefko
    Marija Dalbello, Assistant Professor,
    http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/~dalbello
    School of Communication, Information and Library Studies
    Rutgers University

    D-Lib Edu
    Resources for Digital Library Education
    Tefko Saracevic, Marija Dalbello
    School of Communication, Information & Library Studies
    Rutgers University
    4 Huntington Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 U.S.A.
    Tel.: (732)932-8017 Fax: (732)932-2644
    dlibedu@scils.rutgers.edu