14.0611 what degrees mean

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 02:06:33 EST

       [1] From: "Tim Reuter" <T.Reuter@soton.ac.uk> (20)
             Subject: Re: 14.0609 what DO degrees mean?

       [2] From: "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com> (40)
             Subject: Re: Skills Training vs Higher Level Humanist Computing

             Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 07:00:11 +0000
             From: "Tim Reuter" <T.Reuter@soton.ac.uk>

    Willard's experience is general, not singular. North American Humanists
    may be both amused and horrified to find how far a reductionist
    skills-based approach has now invaded UK higher education. It goes a lot
    further than the odd MSc programme, as a visit to www.qaa.ac.uk will
    reveal. In essence our (pay)masters have used their financial hegemony to
    create an ideological hegemony which has reversed the previous view. Once
    upon a time we saw degree programmes as an immersion in a discipline or
    set of disciplines, as a result of which, incidentally, all sorts of life
    skills (not only employability-related skills) were acquired. Now we are
    invited (indeed required) to describe our programmes in terms of the
    skills they inculcate -- this is core, while the acquisition of
    disciplinary understanding is merely the surrounding pulp (and presumably,
    in the medium term, discardable).

    Tim Reuter
    Department of History, University of Southampton, Southampton SO17 1BJ
    tel. 023 80 594868; fax 023 80 593458; email tr@soton.ac.uk
    Home Page: http://www.soton.ac.uk/~tr/tr.html
    History Department: http://www.soton.ac.uk/~history/
    Wessex Medieval Centre: http://www.soton.ac.uk/~wmc/