14.0629 e-bouncer vs e-dictator

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 03:05:53 EST

             Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:01:26 +0000
             From: "Price, Dan" <dprice@tui.edu>
             Subject: RE: 14.0618 e-bouncer vs e-dictator?

    [Taken from a private note to me; republished with permission. --WM]

    Not surprised that the folks are "very determined" as they seem to be
    seeking an audience! A short note is that recently in an unmoderated list
    I sent a rather blunt reply to another member about reading the text and
    regarding the intention of the author more closely (text was Gospel of Luke).

    The moderator sent me a reply saying that I had been very rude and would be
    placed on suspension for future posting of message for three months. BUT
    when I apologized to the one who had posted the message, he wanted to know
    what I was talking about-no offense on this part. So, sometimes it can be
    a matter of perspective.

    The end result seems to be that the moderated list is the best present
    course of action. This list is certainly the most creative and reflective
    List Serve that I subscribe to and I do think that in many ways that is the
    result of your own moderation and your frequent teasing questions that prod
    the rest of us to think and sometimes respond. In no way shape or form,
    then, do I regard you as the e-dictator.

    I am still amazed at the amount interaction with various scholarly
    communities and my own sense of "connectedness" that the List Serves
    provide. It certainly beats the old days of only having a printed
    newsletter from time to time and the occasional face to face meeting.

    Amen!

    --dan
    Sincerely,
    Dan Price, Ph.D.
    Professor, Center for Distance Learning
    The Union Institute (800) 486 3116 ext.1222
    440 E McMillan St. (513) 861 6400 ext.1222
    Cincinnati OH 45206 FAX 513 861 9026

    <http://www.tui.edu/Faculty/FacultyUndergrad/PriceDan.html>http://www.tui.edu/Faculty/FacultyUndergrad/PriceDan.html