14.0640 black-box vs glass-box methods

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 05:40:42 EST

       [1] From: "Chris McMahon" <pharmakeus@hotmail.com> (12)
             Subject: Re: 14.0638 black-box vs glass-box methods?

       [2] From: "David L. Hoover" <david.hoover@nyu.edu> (56)

             Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 10:38:23 +0000
             From: "Chris McMahon" <pharmakeus@hotmail.com>

    Dear WM,

    I think, if we are to wax philosophical, that the back box cannot be
    avoided. There is always an element of black box at work, because the world
    is not transparent. Black box is associated, for e.g. with BF Skinner,
    under stimulus x we get behavior y, but don't know exactly what's going on
    inside the rat that makes it exhibit behhavior y under stimulus x. Though
    neurology is peeling back the brain, same could be said re: any human
    behavior insofar as the "mind" is concerned. In any case, Kant's claim that
    all knowledge is founded on the unknown or the the Beingquestion of
    Heidegger represent encounters with the black box of existence itself.

    :) Chris