14.0656 ethical research procedures: folkloristic abuse?

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 01:55:36 EST

             Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 06:49:13 +0000
             From: cbf@socrates.Berkeley.EDU
             Subject: Re: 14.0651 ethical research procedures

    What I see happening is the tendency of the bureaucratic mind to start
    from an obvious case of physical abuse that demands a remedy and then
    extend that remedy as far as possible without trying to find out whether
    any such abuse exists.

    This originally started, I gather, because of federal regulations which
    originated with NIH for recipients of NIH grants.

    I should be very interested to learn of cases in which folklore informants
    have been abused by folklorists. Maybe there is a dark underside to
    folklore research of which I have been happily unaware until now.

    Charles Faulhaber The Bancroft Library UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
    (510) 642-3782 FAX (510) 642-7589 cfaulhab@library.berkeley.edu