14.0663 reader-designated hyperlinking

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 13:40:19 EST

             Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:36:49 +0000
             From: Gerry McKiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU>
             Subject: Reader-Designated HyperLinking In/Between/Among E-Journals

                         _Reader-Designated HyperLinking_

         In the process of reading/re-reading Web sites describing Ted Nelson's
    Project Xanadu , e.g.,

    Professorial Home Page of Ted Nelson
    [http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/ ]

    Project Xanadu [ http://www.xanadu.net/ ]

    Ted Nelson and Xanadu
    [ http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/elab/hfl0155.html ]

        I was struck by a description of the 'Parallel Textface' component of
    Project Xanadu in a Web essay entitled "The World Wide Web: The Beginning
    and Now" prepared by Matt Kazmierski
    [ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mattkaz/history/hypertext2.html ].

    In his brief overview, Kazmierski noted that the 'Parallel Textface' was

    "unique because it _allowed a *user* to create links between documents_ even
    if they were *not* related [emphasis added].

    In considering this statement, it occurred to be that if would be quite
    beneficial for a reader of an e-article to have the ability to create
    *personalized* links between segments of an article, and/or to do the same
    across articles in the same journal and/or provided by the same publisher,
    and/or to e-journal provided by *other* publishers.

    [In a way, this would be a very advanced form of an e-journal Annotation
    feature within what I call the 'Eclectic Journal'

    [ http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0101/0131.html ]]

    One could imagine a functionality that would allow a user to mark a section
    of text in one e-article then to do the same in another e-article and then
    to automatically create a link between the two segments by an appropriate
    right-hand mouse selection and click and/or appropriate keyboard command
    [Ctrl-L [:->]

    [One could also imagine hyperlinking text to one (or more) multimedia
    objects (e.g., a QuickTime movie))

        I'd be interested in learning if such 'Reader-Designated HyperLinking'
    exists
    in some form or other, particularly in any existing e-journal or one
    currently being designed or revamped. I would also be interested in learning
    about any literature or technology relevant to the concept of
    'reader-designated hyperlinking'.

        As Always, Any and All contributions, suggestions, critiques, compliments,
    complaints, queries, Cosmic Insights, etc. are Most Welcome!

        Regards,

    /Gerry McKiernan
    HyperLinked Librarian
    Iowa State University
    Ames IA 50011

    gerrymck@iastate.edu

            Don't Confuse Ability with Opportunity nor Opportunity with Ability.

    BTW: Ted Nelson is credited with coining the word 'hypertext'
    and Xanadu is considered by some as an inspiration for the World Wide Web,
    e.g.,

    [ http://www.tfh-berlin.de/~weberwu/ds/TedNelson.html]
    [ http://www.callnetuk.com/home/billkennelly/who.htm ] ]
    [ http://www.scope.at/program/speakers/nelson.html]