14.0707 automata

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 04:43:44 EST

       [1] From: Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu> (39)
             Subject: Automata, robots and "thinking machines"

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (28)
             Subject: bionic chip

             Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:13:03 +0000
             From: Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>

    In light of the vast amounts of material that are being made available
    by members of the Humanist List, it is interesting that someone brought
    up the subject of "thinking machines.". As a long-time observer of
    Science Fiction,I am aware that writers of "fantastic fiction" have
    written about "sentient" machines as long as there has been history. I
    think that the vast amounts of information being made available to
    cybernetic circuitry brings up certain "philosophical" questions, first
    among which is "What is sentience?" Just how much "input" can
    complicated circuitry accomodate before certain critical associations
    are made? This is really not as fantastic as it sounds. I would
    recommend to the readers of this list two science fiction novels by
    reputable scientists: "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", by Robert A.
    Heinlein, and "When Harlie Was One," by David Gerrold. Each raises
    interesting philosophical and ethical questions. Dr. Isaac Asimov wrote
    extensively on robots(kudos to Karl Capek), both as a writer of fiction
    and as an editor of popular scientific works. I know that the movie
    "Short Circuit" is largely slapstick comedy, but think of its
    implications, especially the mention of the "Turing Test" by the
    roboticist. These are just some thoughts some might appreciate. I hope
    they will be well received. Randall