14.0758 method

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 01:30:54 EST

             Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 06:26:28 +0000
             From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>
             Subject: Re: 14.0751 digitisation project? method?

    Willlard's note on learning methods versus content/substance/etc/ really
    struck a sympathetic chord. For years now, our University has told its
    outside Boards (not only Trustees, but State Board of Higher Education
    and even more important State Board of Higher Ed *staff*) all the old
    clich's about what good an education is -- Liberal Arts teach judgment
    and assessment, critical thinking, etc. I have long felt that while
    there is some truth to this, it's mostly baloney. I never wanted to
    teach my Chaucer students "critical thinking" -- I wanted to teach them
    _Chaucer_. (and before we get entangled in postmodern theory, I wanted
    to teach them Chaucer as I saw him, while giving fair hearing to other
    notions of Chaucer that I thought had something to recommend them). I
    didn't want to make beginning medievalists out of them -- unless they
    were graduate students -- but I wanted them to appreciate the Canterbury
    Tales and hopefully look back on them with pleasure -- and maybe even
    pick one up and read it some time.

    Is this bad ? I cannot imagine that spending the time teaching methods
    of critically judging Chaucer would have been a good substitute.

    Should anyone care, I didn't go to college to get a job and make money,
    I went to college to learn stuff.