14.0804 new online: PhD-Design; BMCR enhancements

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 05:21:14 EDT

       [1] From: Ken Friedman <ken.friedman@bi.no> (39)
             Subject: Interesting thread beginning on PhD-Design

       [2] From: jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu (James J. O'Donnell) (31)
             Subject: BMCR announcement

             Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:09:56 +0100
             From: Ken Friedman <ken.friedman@bi.no>

    Dear Colleagues,

    Those interested in the current status
    and future of scholarly and scientific
    communication will be interested in a
    thread that began this morning on the
    PhD-Design list. It was launched with an
    interesting question from Praveen Nahar
    of the IIT Bombay.

    I will post a note here later today to
    give an overview of the issues under
    consideration. If these issues interest
    you, I suggest you join PhD-Design.

    o PHD-DESIGN is a discussion list open for unmoderated
          discussion on all matters related to the PhD in design. You
          may subscribe at the following site:

          http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/phd-design.html

    Best regards,

    Ken Friedman

    Ken Friedman, Ph.D. Associate Professor of Leadership and Strategic Design Department of Knowledge Management Norwegian School of Management

    Visiting Professor Advanced Research Institute School of Art and Design Staffordshire University

    Norway

    +47 22.98.50.00 Telephone +47 22.98.51.11 Telefax

    Home office

    Byvaegen 13 S-24012 Torna Haellestad Sweden

    +46 (46) 53.245 Telephone +46 (46) 53.345 Telefax

    email: ken.friedman@bi.no

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:17:32 +0100 From: jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu (James J. O'Donnell) Subject: BMCR announcement

    [Humanists of all disciplinary orientations will be interested in the following, which announces enhancements in the web site of the Bryn Mawr Classical Review. BMCR is a pioneering example of electronic publication that does its job far better than a printed semi-equivalent possibly could -- and in a very technologically simple way. --WM]

    >From today's BMCR:

    The Editors of Bryn Mawr Classical Review are proud to announce that the BMCR web site (http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr) has been substantially enhanced and improved. Subscribers will still receive each new review in the mail, but the archive, back to our first issue in the fall of 1990, is now more attractive, easier to navigate, and offers a more transparent way of reading formatted Greek text (starting in 1998). BMCR, now in its eleventh year, has been a pioneer of e-journals, one mark of which is the hotch-potch of formats and technical standards through which we have migrated. (The first issue, e.g., comprised a dozen reviews sent all in a single huge e-mail message to a couple of hundred curious subscribers, many of whose mailboxes crashed under the unaccustomed load of a message so large. We had no online archive until "gopher" arrived in 1992: until then, access to back issues was possible if you wrote to the e-editor and asked for a set, which again probably crashed your mailbox when he sent it to you.) We continue to clean up and standardize that past, but there will always be something of the frontier spirit about those early issues.

    We are indebted to the collegiality and assistance of Anne Mahoney for her indefatigable labors in the redesign and programming of the new site and to David Chamberlain of Princeton University for the graphics, and we express our thanks to the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for funding. Comments, questions, and suggestions always welcome. (To subscribe, go to the website and click on the appropriate link to fill out our form.)

    Richard Hamilton James J. O'Donnell rhamilto@brynmawr.edu jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu Bryn Mawr College University of Pennsylvania