14.0808 science fiction

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 03:50:00 EDT

             Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:41:10 +0100
             From: Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>
             Subject: science fiction

    I was most intrigued by the project to apply recent developments in
    literary analysis to science fiction. I read quite a bit in that genre
    and, personally, I'm quite surprised that more students of literature
    don't find room in their studies to consider the worth of the form. Many
    science fiction writers are highly respected scientists in their fields,
    and see science fiction as a perfect vehicle to "float" ideas before an
    audience. And what better audience than those used to and willing to
    accept "cognitive estrangement" as a normal part of their thinking
    processes. This term, used by Carl Freeman in his "Critical Theory and
    Science Fiction", very neatly describes what "sci-fi" is about. No, the
    world is not like that in the story. Yet. Randall