15.038 an irony for your collection

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 03:10:08 EDT

             Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 07:59:01 +0100
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: Re: 15.034 online learning conference

    Willard,

    Am I alone in finding it ironic that a conference about online learning
    does _not_ meet online? Does not even have a hybrid component?

    I ask because of the politics of access. How international is an
    international conference when there still exist serious barriers to full
    participation in academic conferences, trade fairs, and meetings of
    learned societies?

    If you check out the "Tracks at a Glance" page of the Seventh Sloan-C
    International Conference on Online Learning: Emerging Standards of
    Excellence in Asynchronous Learning Networks, you will fail to find the
    term "access" in the descriptions of the various emerging standards. Odd,
    since the first track listed is "Emerging Standards of Excellence for
    Faculty Development and Participation".

    This is but a single case of a more general condition. Online components
    pre and post conference are important considerations for any meeting of
    scholars engaged in Humanities Computing. How many of us, pre post papers
    and abstracts to the Web? How many of us report back on panels, papers,
    conferences and symposia? Is there a prejudice against prepublication? A
    bias against academic journalism? How difficult is it to remember that not
    everyone who is interested can be there or that contingencies do not arise
    and those that plan to be there cannot attend?

    Will any one carry through and report back to Humanist about the
    proceedings of the ACH/ALLC in New York City this June? There are some
    wonderful papers and discussion that even people attending the meeting
    will miss --- parallel sessions make it impossible for a person to be
    everywhere at the same time. Of course, steps have been made: the
    publication of the abstracts on the Web with contact information does make
    it possible to follow up with authors.

    I am not making a case against in the flesh encounters. I am making the
    case for spreading the joy, enthusiasm and cognitive flashes that those
    encounters engender.

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
    	http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance