15.080 copyright searching; managing Web resources

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 02:07:09 EDT

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (174)
             Subject: New Copyright Search Method at Copyright Office;
                     Articles on Semantic Web & E-Books in Academe

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (109)
             Subject: Guide: Managing Web Resources for persistent access;
                     Conference: Managing Digital Video Content

             Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 07:01:17 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: New Copyright Search Method at Copyright Office; Articles
    on Semantic Web & E-Books in Academe

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    June 4, 2001

                                       NEWSNOTES:

                     COPYRIGHT OFFICE LAUNCHES PILOT SEARCH METHOD
                           <http://www.loc.gov/copyright/search>http://www.loc.gov/copyright/search

                              May Issue of CIT INFOBITS
                           <http://www.unc.edu/cit/infobits/>http://www.unc.edu/cit/infobits/

                    Includes: "Articles on E-Books in Academe"
                           Article on "The Semantic Web"
                by Tim Berners-Lee, James Hendler, and Ora Lassila,
                             in May SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN
             <http://www.sciam.com/2001/0501issue/0501berners-lee.html>http://www.sciam.com/2001/0501issue/0501berners-lee.html

    A few collected news notes from two sources: the U.S. Copyright Office
    announcing an experimental method for searching for copyrighted works
    online and the May issue of CIT Infobits (from The University of North
    Carolina at Chapel Hill Center for Instructional Technology) pointing us to
    a "Scientific American" article on the Semantic Web by Tim Berners Lee and
    others, and a collection of articles on the E-Book in the University.

    David Green
    ===========

                     COPYRIGHT OFFICE LAUNCHES PILOT SEARCH METHOD
                           <http://www.loc.gov/copyright/search>http://www.loc.gov/copyright/search

    >Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:04:49 -0400
    >From: Copyright News <copynews@loc.gov>
    >>
    >U.S. Copyright Office
    >NewsNet
    >
    >June 1, 2001
    >Issue 123
    >
    >-------------Copyright Office---------------
    >
    >NEW SEARCH METHOD LAUNCHED FOR PILOT TESTING
    >
    >The Copyright Office invites NewsNet readers to pilot test a
    >new copyright search method. The Web-based search allows
    >users to find copyright information pertaining to more than
    >14 million works registered since 1978. The interface is
    >designed with user-friendly commands for first-time and
    >occasional users. The older, powerful Telnet-based LOCIS
    >system will also continue to be available.
    >
    >NewsNet readers are encouraged to conduct searches in the
    >system's three databases: registered works, serials, and
    >documents. Pilot testers may report problems they encounter
    >and any suggestions for improvements by email to
    >copyweb@loc.gov. The Copyright Office appreciates your
    >help.
    >
    >To use the search, connect to
    ><http://www.loc.gov/copyright/search>http://www.loc.gov/copyright/search

    ><<mailto:leave-infobits-97712D@listserv.unc.edu>mailto:leave-infobits-97712D@listserv.unc.edu>

    >CIT INFOBITS May 2001 No. 35 ISSN 1521-9275
    >
    >ARTICLES ON E-BOOKS IN ACADEME
    >
    >"A University That Reveres Tradition Experiments With E-Books" (by
    >Jeffrey R. Young, THE CHRONICLE OF HIGHER EDUCATION, May 18, 2001, p.
    >A39) describes an experimental University of Virginia seminar in which
    >students use hand-held computers loaded with all the course materials.
    >The seminar is part of a pilot project to see if e-book technologies
    >could allow entire courses to go "bookless." The article is available
    >online at
    ><http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i36/36a03901.htm>http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i36/36a03901.htm

    >Related articles from the same issue:
    >
    >"Publishers Promote E-Textbooks, but Many Students and Professors Are
    >Skeptical"
    ><http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i36/36a03502.htm>http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i36/36a03502.htm

    >"Companies Find Academic Libraries a Key Target and a Tough Sell"
    ><http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i36/36a03701.htm>http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i36/36a03701.htm

    >"Academic E-Publishing: Some Key Players"
    ><http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i36/36a03702.htm>http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i36/36a03702.htm

    >"Author Says Libraries Shouldn't Abandon Paper"
    ><http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i36/36a04001.htm>http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i36/36a04001.htm

    >The Chronicle of Higher Education [ISSN 0009-5982] is published weekly
    >by The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inc., 1255 Twenty-third Street,
    >NW, Washington, DC 20037 USA; tel: 202-466-1000; fax: 202-452-1033;
    >Web: <http://chronicle.com/>http://chronicle.com/
> [...]

    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.