15.116 an uncertain July for Humanist

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 03:02:50 EDT

             Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:50:01 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: an uncertain July

    Dear colleagues:

      From 29/6 to 27/7 I will be away from these gardens and pleasant skies, in
    fact for most of that time away from my natal hemisphere, thanks to a
    symposium in
    Newcastle NSW Australia, held by that justly renowned Centre for Literary
    and Linguistic Computing. See
    <http://www.newcastle.edu.au/department/lc/symposium/> for details. During
    this time, if we can figure out how, David Gants will be attending to
    Humanist; otherwise, between times and during walkabouts Humanist will be
    silent. Anything that can wait thus for opportunity is of course welcome.
    Please use your judgement.

    Meanwhile allow me to recommend an interesting book: William Kent, Data and
    Reality, 2nd edn. (Bloomington IN: 1st Books, 2000) -- which would appear
    to have been published originally in 1978. See <http://www.1stbooks.com/>,
    from which you can locate it by asking for all books on "Computers /
    Internet / Technology" -- and read a "free sample". It does not go as far
    in the direction suggested by the title as I had hoped, but it does make
    some steps. Recommendations of like efforts would be very welcome and to
    the point.

    -----
    Dr Willard McCarty / Senior Lecturer /
    Centre for Computing in the Humanities / King's College London /
    Strand / London WC2R 2LS / U.K. /
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784 / ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/