Digest of toad from remdigest

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 21:49:22 EDT

      [1] From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca> (26)
            Subject: Accessibility, Design and Funding

      [2] From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca> (22)
            Subject: An answer with a bit of digging

      [3] From: Gilad Maayan <gilad@olivesoftware.com> (40)

      [4] From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca> (54)
            Subject: RE: Accessibility, Design and Funding

            Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 21:38:34 -0500 (EST)
            From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca>

    From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca>

    Willard,

    Intrigued by the All the News that is Fit to Scan blub, I was accessing:

    http://www.uk.olivesoftware.com/conference/

    and got a cannot display message.

    I truncated the URL and discovered that the problem was due to resolution
    settings on my system. I can understand working with Microsoft 5.0 because
    of the XML components of the site as a stop gap measure until such time a
    server-side solution is in place to transform XML into HTML. But why force
    a screen resolution? Yes it allows the site designers to control
    presentation but it does rob users of the chance to tailor the display to
    their requirements.

    I am puzzled at to why a British Library site would apparently ignore
    access issues. The message on the home page

    http://www.uk.olivesoftware.com/

    makes no mention of Lynx or text-based browsers but promises "a light
    version of the archive supporting version 4 of Netscape and Explorer is
    due to be implemented soon." There is at least a mail to link to send
    comments.

    I am led to ask Humanist subscribers if they know of funding guidelines
    that granting agencies use to determine accessibility requirements of the
    projects and initiatives to which they will contribute.

     --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
             http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance