15.173 silences

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 06:25:10 EDT

             Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 11:23:37 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: gone or flooded out?

    Dear colleagues:

    The Humanist account at Virginia has in recent days been flooded with
    messages from various people at various locations, all containing the
    following:

    >Hi! How are you?
    >
    >I send you this file in order to have your advice
    >
    >See you later. Thanks

    with a (I suspect) deadly attachment. I have therefore been deleting masses
    of messages without reading them -- anything that looks suspicious. At the
    same time the contributions to Humanist have slowed to a trickle. This is
    only to let you know that times are not normal, or even usual, so if you
    have sent a message but not seen it appear, please submit again. It's also
    the season of mass disappearances beyond the reach of e-mail, so there may
    be an entirely ordinary reason for the nearly dry creek bed. Sleep well
    under the stars!

    -----
    Dr Willard McCarty / Senior Lecturer /
    Centre for Computing in the Humanities / King's College London /
    Strand / London WC2R 2LS / U.K. /
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784 / ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/