15.176 Sircam & the silence of the vacationers

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 03:22:00 EDT

             Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:00:51 +0100
             From: Brother Anthony <anthony@ccs.sogang.ac.kr>
             Subject: Re: 15.173 silences

    For information on the Sircam Worm see
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html
    In the last couple of weeks the whole world has been flooded with these
    things (well, I have, at least, and lots of others) What rather
    surprises me (to put it mildly) is that a major American University's
    Computer center does not have anti-virus firewalls to filter out such
    things. Here (in Sogang University, Seoul) every incoming email message
    (and its attachments) is automatically scanned on arrival for all
    identified viruses and either cleaned or purged before arriving in our
    mailboxes with a note informing us of what virus was detected and
    whether the attached file was cleaned or deleted. I think you (and
    anyone else in your position) should protest strongly to your server
    keepers if you ever receive an email still infected with an already
    identified virus. As for the lack of new messages, I believe it is
    related to that other plague of the modern world, usually known as
    "vacations". It seems to have infected all other lists as well. I doubt
    if there is a cure, except the due passage of time.
    Brother Anthony
    Sogang University, Seoul, Korea
    http://www.sogang.ac.kr/~anthony

    [Many thanks to several other Humanists who wrote to me about Sircam, which
    prompted me to acquire anti-viral software, which in turn informed me about
    some seriously bad online activities, which make arguing for what Milton
    called "unlicensed printing" rather more challenging. --WM]