15.198 ahoy! salutations & addresses

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 03:53:50 EDT

             Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:45:36 +0100
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: Salutations and Addresses

    Dear fellow subscribers,

    Epistolary researchers are attentive to the clues that envelopes (or the
    recto of a sealed missive) might offer.

    I am wondering if the electronic medium helps us communicate the same
    sensitivity to students. That is, in getting them to read (& use
    efficiently and effectively) the headers as well as the salutations. There
    is of course the evident possibility of filtering messages based on
    rules relating to distribution information.

    I am wondering how people's use of group reply and blind copies affects
    the types of saluations that appear in their message. To what extent does
    letter writing occur in a "fish-bowl" environment in the sense that the
    mindful letter writer is composing in a condition of being "overheard".

    This set of questions stems in part from a discussion of the rhetoric of
    discussion lists:

    http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance/tcc2001/guide.htm

    which is here offered as a modest token of appreciation for the pleasure I
    have received in observing the exchanges passing through Humanist these
    last few years.

    Thanks,

       Francois

    --