15.210 books of interest

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 01:30:49 EDT

             Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 06:26:24 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: books of interest, with request for comments

    Members of Humanist may be interested to know of the following, which are
    perhaps new only to me. Comments and further recommendations would be most
    welcome.

    1. Caroline A Jones and Peter Galison, eds., Picturing Science, Producing
    Art (London: Routledge, 1998. I encountered this book because of Galison's
    fine essay, "Judgement Against Objectivity" (pp. 327-59), which is but one
    in a series of articles coming out of Galison's study of the historicity of
    the idea of objectivity; see also his paper in the ACLS Occasional Papers
    47 volume, The Humanities and the Sciences,
    <http://www.acls.org/op47-1.htm>, which doubtless I have mentioned before.
    The editors of Picturing Science comment, "Analytic attempts to distinguish
    'art' and 'science' often founder at the boundaries drawn between them' (p.
    1). Indeed -- and much is in that past participle "drawn".

    2. Charles Ess and Fay Sudweeks, eds., Culture, Technology, Communication:
    Towards an Intercultural Global Village (Albany NY: State University of New
    York Press, 2001). This volume came out of a conference held in London in
    1998, Cultural Attitudes Towards Technology and Communication, first in
    what has become a series. An intellectually exciting event (I was there but
    only made trouble on the sidelines) that has fortunately survived into
    print. The essays in the book work out consequences of the fact that, as
    Susan Herring says in her Foreward, "the world is getting smaller" in part
    through communication technologies. With our mobile phones, e-mail &c we
    tend to regard this as a good thing and think no more about it. What these
    essays do inter alia is to burn away the "good" as an unqualified
    qualifier. As a friend once said about another matter, "it isn't
    necessarily a good thing, but it is certainly a thing."

    3. Mikael Hard and Andrew Jamison, eds., The Intellectual Appropriation of
    Technology: Discourses on Modernity, 1900-1939 (Cambridge MA: MIT Press,
    1998). This book examines the social and intellectual responses to
    technology during the 1st four decades of the last century. It came out of
    a project at the Department of the Theory of Science at Gothenburg
    (Goteborg, Sweden) and so a most welcome majority of essays are from
    Scandinavian scholars. I have not read this book yet; comments from anyone
    who has would be welcome, of course.

    4. Denis Donoghue, The Sovereign Ghost: Studies in Imagination (New York:
    Ecco Press, 1976). This is a literary-critical study of imagination in
    writers from Shakespeare to the modernists. I'm not sure what to say about
    it yet; I mention it here to solicit comments from anyone familiar with
    Donoghue, even more with the topic. I would be most greatful for pointers
    to studies from any discipline on this topic -- other than Northrop Frye's
    series of lectures, The Educated Imagination, which I have read.

    -----
    Dr Willard McCarty / Senior Lecturer /
    Centre for Computing in the Humanities / King's College London /
    Strand / London WC2R 2LS / U.K. /
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784 / ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/