15.245 a healing imagination

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 01:59:05 EDT

       [1] From: John Unsworth <jmu2m@virginia.edu> (27)
             Subject: [forwarded from Jerome McGann]

       [2] From: "Matthew Zimmerman" <matthew.zimmerman@nyu.edu> (34)
             Subject: Re: 15.243 our hosts at NYU

             Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 06:08:26 +0100
             From: John Unsworth <jmu2m@virginia.edu>
             Subject: healing imagination

    [forwarded by John Unsworth]

    Look at the newspapers this morning, and see in cold print the perfunctory
    representation (in letters to the editor eg, but all over) of the voices of
    those who strongly dissent from where this wave of anguished fear is bent
    on carrying us. the radio, tv, and paper media are all mobilizing for
    "war" -- a long war, we are assured, that wants to bring a fearful terror
    against terrorism. hardly a whisper of the need to confront the sources of
    this landscape of terror, only talk of spreading it further.

    and so we realize, nearly hopelessly, that dissenting from this misguided
    program will be given no serious space in those media.

    by chance, in the latest issue of _the nation_, comes edward said's essay
    on finding a way to speak with effect in this circumstance. i urge
    everyone to read it. and to use THIS medium, a medium still relatively
    free of total control, to spread a call to step back from what our
    government seems determined to do. if "only to connect" (forgive me,
    foster) ourselves together. "standing together" as a nation without
    borders and an army without guns, like those firemen in nyc -- one can't
    get them from one's mind -- who died trying to bring comfort and help and
    rescue. all those firemen, our model anti-terrorists.

    (relatively free of control: i write that knowing full well, as all of us
    should, that these messages are being monitored. we must still speak out.)

    will we actually send yet another generation of our youth to die in places
    already populated largely by innocent and suffering people? the terror in
    nyc was conceived in just such an imagination -- an imagination in
    pain. we can either try to heal that imagination or let it run on, until
    we are all "standing together" under its terrible wings.

    jerry mcgann