15.253 writings on imagination

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 04:31:43 EDT

             Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:26:18 +0100
             From: Han Baltussen <han.baltussen@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: Re: 15.244 writings on imagination?

    Dear Willard,

    A book I recently read (and since recommended to all my friends and some
    colleagues) is on thinking and intuition, inspirational about how much of
    our "intuitive" thinking still is rational, just not part of the conscious
    processes, with lots of empirical evidence of ho wwe can know about it:

    G. Claxton, *Hair Brain, Tortoise Mind. Why Intelligence Increases When We
    Think Less* (4th Estate London 1997)

    (I know that the subtitle looks like one of those self-help books, but it
    is not!)

    Quite relevant to imagination I think.

    best
    Han

    Dr Han Baltussen

    * Tutor & Temporary Lecturer in Ancient Philosophy
    * Chief Assistant Editor to the Ancient Commentators on Aristotle Project
    (200-600 AD)

    King's College London
    Dept. of Philosophy
    Strand
    LONDON WC2R 2LS

    tel. +44-(0)20-7848-2528
    fax +44-(0)20-7848-2317
    ** Have a look at the Project's website (currently under development) at
    http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/hums/philosophy/frames/Research where
    you'll find what we do, news on forthcoming volumes and a conference in 2002