15.261 data and reality

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 02:24:16 EDT

       [1] From: "Koster, Jo" <kosterj@exchange.winthrop.edu> (83)
             Subject: RE: 15.257 data and reality?

       [2] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (55)

       [3] From: "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com> (130)

       [4] From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@gslis.utexas.edu> (17)

             Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:13:35 +0100
             From: "Koster, Jo" <kosterj@exchange.winthrop.edu>

    Willard,

            Getting students to understand that there can be (let alone that
    there _is_)a "complex and treacherous domain that lies between data and
    our representations of reality on the machine" is a problem I find that
    I have to attack more and more explicitly as my students become more and
    more members of a generation where the picture is the truth. I have
    tried doing it with print sources by using varying historical accounts
    of the same event: the assassination of Malcolm X, the events at
    Lexington & Concord, the battle in Tianamen Square (see below for
    references) with some success. But I have not had as much success
    convincing him that this same standard applies to the web.

            The best thing I have found to do is to show them convincing
    "historical representations of fact" that are in fact frauds, and
    encourage them to see what signals--clearly there--they ignore out of
    their conditioning to believe what they see. Two good sites I use for
    this are http://www.improb.com/airchives/classical/cat/cat.html and
    http://faculty.winthrop.edu/kosterj/writ102/marktwain.htm. These aren't
    the only ones that work. Some of the best examples are at Susan Beck's
    site, http://lib.nmsu.edu/instruction/evalexpl.html. She has a wonderful
    collection of graphically-impressive yet deceitful web materials. The
    one that has worked best with my students is the one on little-known
    facts about women and aids, at
    http://147.129.1.10/library/research/AIDSFACTS.htm, a site that was
    designed and is maintained by John Henderson. Yet the essential problem
    remains: students believe something is a truth because they see it and
    hear it and are comfortable with it--and getting them to question this
    enculturated position is an activity that takes more and more effort.

            In the past few days my students have angrily denounced the
    pictures shown on television of Palestinian women and children
    celebrating the news of the New York/Pentagon disaster in the refugee
    camps of Lebanon. I finally had to tape the scene off CNN and show it
    frame by frame to make them see that there were other Palestinians
    behind them, walking past without celebrating or shaking their heads in
    sadness (and I hope disgust), to get them to see that not ALL people of
    Arabic descent support the terrorist acts. Then I asked them how many of
    them, as eight- and nine-year old children, had gone to parades and
    celebrations after the end of the Kuwait war in the early 90s. Almost
    all of them had. They had all cheered and celebrated because enemies of
    their country had died. "But that's different," they said. "That was a
    _war_." I assigned them to go out and discover whether the US Congress
    had ever actually passed a declaration of war that was signed by the
    President--whether it was really a _war_ in the historical sense. They
    came back defeated and frustrated--this is not what they wanted to
    believe, and I don't think most of them still believe that their
    historical "truth" of the Gulf War could be in some way inaccurate.

            I think probably this is a bigger problem than just one for
    students of humanities computing and has more complexity than just with
    how we present information in an electronic environment. I think it is a
    problem for all cultures where we permit people to accept the most
    comfortable view of events as the truth.

    Peace--

    Jo
    --*--*--*--*--*--
    Jo Koster (formerly Tarvers), Ph.D.
    Department of English
    Winthrop University
    Rock Hill, SC 29733-0001 USA
    phone (803) 323-4557
    fax (803) 323-4837
    e-mail kosterj@winthrop.edu
    on the web http://faculty.winthrop.edu/kosterj
    "Brother, brother, / We don't need to hesitate. / War is not the answer,
    / For only love can conquer hate."---Marvin Gaye

    Print accounts: 1. Five Accounts of the Assassination of Malcolm X: The
    New York Times 2/22/1965; Life 3/5/1965; The New York Post 2/22/1965;
    Associated Press 2/22/1965; The Amsterdam News 2/27/1965. From Chaffee,
    Thinking Critically 5/e, pp. 169-171.
    2. Four Accounts of the Battle of Lexington: from Samuel Steinberg, The
    United States: Story of a Free People; from Winston Churchill, History
    of the English Speaking Peoples; from the deposition of Sylvanus Woods,
    a Minuteman, given 30 years after the event; from the deposition of John
    Bateman, British militiaman, given while a prisoner of war in
    Massachusetts. From Chaffee,
    Thinking Critically 5/e, pp. 213-15, based on an activity from the
    Critical Thinking in History Project.
    3. Seven Accounts of Events at Tiananmen Square, 1989: from The New York
    Times, 6/4/89; Deng Xiaoping, as reported in The Beijing Review, July
    1989; Eyewitness reporter=s account, The New York Times, 6/4/89;
    official Chinese government accounts; The New York Times, 6/5/89;
    eyewitness account of Xiao Bin immediately after the event; statement of
    Xiao Bin while in the custody of
    Chinese authorities. From Chaffee, Thinking Critically 5/e, pp. 215-220.