15.323 on Borgmann's work

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 01:38:16 EDT

             Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 06:25:19 +0100
             From: "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com>
             Subject: Re: 15.321 interesting sources

      From Professor Tripathi's excellent summary of Albert Borgmann's book, I
    find myself in complete agreement with Borgmann's idea. I think that there
    is a tradeoff between gains and losses in every decision that human beings
    make, and that the losses especially in technological decisions may often
    outweigh the gains.

    Several solutions occur to me in technology. One is to try limited scales
    of adoption and compare them with similar situations where the technology is
    not adopted - in effect, make alternative decisions into a benign or
    benevolent competition, perhaps indefinitely. Secondly, and this applies
    beyond technology as well to philosophy and other fields, create
    indefinitely long competition between theories with changed axioms, changed
    operations, and so on. I have written about this latter idea to some extent
    in geometric axioms and algebraic operations, but in technologically related
    theory it occurs to me now that a good competition would be that between
    infinite and finite theories. Computer theory and practice in the past
    usually adopted the finite viewpoint, until quantum computers and quantum
    entanglement changed the whole appearance of the universe. I suspect that
    the human brain/mind complex is an infinite (and in fact, uncountably
    infinite) computer type object rather than a finite one, and that neuron
    functioning (which is finite) follows rather than leads the brain/mind
    functioning, where the latter is somewhat like a parallel universe inside
    the outer universe with rough similarities to Leibniz' monad in the sense of
    its synchronization to the outer universe but also with rough differences
    derived from the elementary operations of expansion and contraction of
    consciousness/perception/memory. Let us create competing branches of
    computers and computer theory and artificial intelligence in and out of
    humanities based on both the finite and infinite viewpoints and even
    internal differences within each, and instead of trying to kill off the
    *opposing* theories let us retain them indefinitely but keep comparing them
    and predictions associated with them and real world data.

    Osher Doctorow