15.328 cultural heritage workshop at NIC2001

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 03:40:00 EDT

             Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:26:20 +0100
             From: Lily Diaz <diaz@uiah.fi>
             Subject: Culture heritage workshop at NIC2001

    CULTURAL HERITAGE WORKSHOP, NOVEMBER 3, 2001 IN COPENHAGEN, DENMARK

    Title: Digital Communication of Cultural Heritage & International Project
    Cooperation.
    When: At the NIC2001 conference from 31. October to 3. November.
    Where: Bella Center - near Copenhagen airport and the city-centre.

    INVITATION:

    We are pleased to invite you to a one-day combined workshop and network
    session at Bella Center in Copenhagen. The workshop will focus on the
    topics of:
    * Interactive digital communication of Cultural and Natural Heritage
    * International project cooperation

    SPEAKERS:

    * Professor Robert Stone
    <http://www.nordic-interactive.org/nic2001/conference/speakers.shtml#stone>http://www.nordic-interactive.org/nic2001/conference/speakers.shtml#stone

    * Dr. Kim H. Veltman
    <http://www.nordic-interactive.org/nic2001/conference/bios/veltman.shtml>http://www.nordic-interactive.org/nic2001/conference/bios/veltman.shtml

    OBJECTIVES OF THE WORKSHOP:

    We hope to pull together first class exponents and key actors from various
    Nordic and international sectors to explore opportunities to collaborate on
    research and development in this area.

    For more information about the workshop, please visit our section in the
    NIC 2001 conference web site:
    <http://www.nordic-interactive.org/nic2001/conference/work1.shtml>http://www.nordic-interactive.org/nic2001/conference/work1.shtml.

    THEMES AND TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION:

    * Trends and visions in use of VR and multimedia for exploring
    Heritage-sites.
    * Digital Heritage as a turning point for cross-disciplinary communication.
    * The potential of Digital Heritage in the future Media Picture.
    * Cooperation and identification of common themes or interests.

    "The Internet has provided us - the society - with an outstanding
    opportunity and responsibility (!) to communicate Heritage on a
    cross-cultural and global scale. How far are we? - what can we do better to
    achieve a more widespread cross-cultural involvement in our cultural and
    natural heritage?"

    WHO WE ARE...

    A network of professionals and idealists in the arts, humanities and
    sciences, working in the area of digital Cultural / Natural Heritage, from
    an arts and humanities perspective.

    The workshop is organised as part of the Nordic Interactive Conference 2001
    (<http://www.nic2001.org>http://www.nic2001.org). The workshop
    (<http://www.nordic-interactive.org/nic2001/conference/work1.shtml>http://www.nordic-interactive.org/nic2001/conference/work1.shtml

    ) will feature presentations by two leading experts from the industry and
    academia.

    Lily Daz
    Researcher
    Media Lab
    University of Art and Design Helsinki/UIAH
    135C Hmeentie SF 00560 FINLAND

    + 358 9 75630 338
    + 358 9 75630 555 FAX
    <diaz@uiah.fi>