15.363 Great Books and their origins

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 02:30:05 EST

             Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:23:29 +0000
             From: Victoria Chadbourne <victoria.chadbourne@wright.edu>
             Subject: Re: 15.361 Western Canon? ideas on a draft?

    I didn't find the list, but I did find a citation of a newspaper that is
    suppose to have one of the versions of the list.

    "The Best Hundred Books," by the Best Judges. Pall Mall Gazette "Extra,"
    no. 24. London (1886) 23

    It was cited in an article in the Stanford Humanities Review, Vol. 6.1
    (1998) at the following URL:

    <<http://www.stanford.edu/group/SHR/6-1/html/carnochan.html>http://www.stanford.edu/group/SHR/6-1/html/carnochan.html>

    This article has quite a lot of information on the "Great Books" and their
    origins. I hope this can be of some help.

    Victoria Chadbourne
    Wright State University