15.373 conferences

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 06:03:24 EST

       [1] From: Charles Ess <cmess@lib.drury.edu> (28)
             Subject: Panel on Internet Research Ethics at CEPE

       [2] From: Christine Ruotolo <cjr2q@etext.lib.virginia.edu> (49)
             Subject: Call For Papers: New Frontiers in Early American
                     Literature - Deadline 2/15/2002 (fwd)

             Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 10:56:49 +0000
             From: Charles Ess <cmess@lib.drury.edu>

    Colleagues:

    I'm very pleased to call your attention to a panel on Internet Research
    Ethics, to take place as part of the Computer Ethics: Philosophical
    Inquiries (CEPE) conference, this coming December 14-16 at Lancaster
    University (see
    <http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/philosophy/conferences/default.htm>).
    The panel itself is scheduled for Sunday, December 16 @ 3:00-4:00 p.m.

    By bringing together European and U.S.-based researchers and ethicists, we
    hope to establish an ongoing interdisciplinary and international dialogue
    regarding the ethical issues that arise from online research on human
    subjects - and make progress towards developing values statements and
    guidelines that will help Institutional Review Boards and their equivalents
    resolve these issues in specific research proposals.

    The panel is funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation; papers
    developed from the panel will appear in a special issue of the journal
    _Ethics and Information Technology_.

    I warmly invite any HUMANIST folk who may be able to attend CEPE to
    contribute to our discussion in December.

    Cheers and all best wishes,

    Charles Ess
    Director, Interdisciplinary Studies Center
    Drury University
    900 N. Benton Ave. Voice: 417-873-7230
    Springfield, MO 65802 USA FAX: 417-873-7435
    Home page: http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
    Co-chair, CATaC 2002: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac02/
    "...to be non-violent, we must not wish for anything on this earth which the
    meanest and lowest of human beings cannot have." -- Gandhi