15.431 evaluating Web-sites, measuring learning

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 05:57:19 EST

       [1] From: Willard McCarty <w.mccarty@btinternet.com> (25)
             Subject: evaluating Web sites

       [2] From: lachance@CHASS.UTORONTO.CA (Francois Lachance) (29)
             Subject: measuring learning

             Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 10:47:08 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <w.mccarty@btinternet.com>

    summary I put together last Autumn on evaluating Web-sites, at
    <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/year1/comms/evaluate.html>. As many
    will know there are now many pages devoted to the topic, some with useful
    exercises. I would be most grateful for pointers to additional exercises
    and indeed for comments on my own summary.

    It does seem to me that in the context of *humanities* computing, critical
    thought about online resources is of the greatest importance. Of course
    much of this applies to resources in earlier media. Thus we can draw on
    prior work and be immediately helpful to colleagues whose focus is on these
    earlier media. (In fact, as a number of people have pointed out, our
    raising of the question for electronic resources illuminates its relevance
    elsewhere.) What preoccupies me particularly, however, are the differences
    that the electronic medium makes. To take just one example, the ease with
    which lists are made in HTML suggests that they have a new prominence
    online, and the degree to which highly divergent, de-contextualised
    resources can be recontextualised hypertextually in such lists gives them
    the potential for rhetorically very interesting work.

    Dr Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer,
    Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London,
    Strand, London WC2R 2LS, U.K.,
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784, ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/,
    willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk, w.mccarty@btinternet.com