15.449 scholarly e-publishing; public domain suits

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 01:43:48 EST

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (63)
             Subject: Essay on Electronic Peer-Reviewed Work Generates
                     Debate

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (30)
             Subject: Public Domain Suits

             Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 06:40:27 +0000
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: Essay on Electronic Peer-Reviewed Work Generates Debate

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    January 11, 2002

                       ESSAY ON SCHOLARLY PUBLISHING GENERATES DEBATE
                              "Op. Cit," Policy Perspectives
                               http://www.irhe.upenn.edu/pubs
                       http://www.irhe.upenn.edu/cgi-bin/cat.pl#V10N3

    >Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:19:29 -0500
    >From: NCCPH - rbcraig <rbcraig@nccph.org>
    >>To: H-NCC@H-NET.MSU.EDU
    >NCC WASHINGTON UPDATE, Vol. 8, #1, January 11, 2002
    >by Bruce Craig <rbcraig@nccph.org
    >National Coordinating Committee for the Promotion of History (NCCPH)

    4. ESSAY ON SCHOLARLY PUBLISHING GENERATES DEBATE
    According to an essay recently published by the Knight Higher Education
    Collaborative universities and colleges should establish policies declaring
    peer-reviewed work in electronic form suitable for consideration in
    promotion and tenure decisions. The publication, based on the Roundtable
    on Scholarly Communication in the Humanities and Social Sciences jointly
    convened in March 2001 by the Association of Research Libraries, the
    National Humanities Alliance, and the Knight Collaborative with support
    from the National Endowment for the Humanities also advocates that active
    and continuing partnerships are needed to help ensure viability as markets
    and technology recast the dynamics of scholarly publishing.

    According to the essay, "developing venues of electronic publication in
    conjunction with existing modes of print publication offers a means of
    expanding the size of the audience that the humanities and social sciences
    might address." But as the essay recognizes, scholars may be reluctant to
    adopt electronic publishing if it jeopardizes their chances for promotion
    and tenure. Scholars need assurances that scholarly work addressed to a
    broader audience and peer-reviewed scholarship published in electronic form
    will be considered legitimate forms of scholarly activity. University
    policies can help accelerate the cultural shifts needed to make this happen
    states the report.

    "This round table focusing on the humanities and social sciences grew out
    of a series of conversations that have taken place in conferences,
    roundtables, and National Humanities Alliance committee discussions over
    the past several years," notes Duane Webster, Executive Director of the
    Association of Research Libraries. "We hope the essay will encourage
    active discussion in the broader community and the development of
    innovative partnerships in electronic publishing."

    Individual copies of the December 2001 issue of Policy Perspectives can be
    obtained from the Institute for Research on Higher Education, University of
    Pennsylvania, 4200 Pine Street, 5A, Philadelphia, PA 19104-4090; phone
    (215) 898-4585. The issue is available on the Web at
    <www.irhe.upenn.edu/pubs>.

    --

    ============================================================== NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted; neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate reciprocal credit. For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor: <mailto:david@ninch.org> ============================================================== See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at <http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>. ==============================================================

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 06:41:51 +0000 From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> Subject: Public Domain Suits

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources from across the Community January 11, 2002

    ELDRED v. ASHCROFT CASE UPDATES Additional Suit: Golan v. Ashcroft <http://eon.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/eldredvashcroft/> http://eon.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/eldredvashcroft/cert/library-amicus.pdf http://www.law.asu.edu/HomePages/Karjala/OpposingCopyrightExtension/

    There is increasing pressure for the Supreme Court to consider the suit against the government on the unconstitutionality of the 1998 Copyright Term Extension Act that extended copyright protection by 20 years. A recent amicus brief by four library associations, the Digital Future Coalition and the Society of American Archivists joins four other amicus briefs by copyright law professors, constitutional law professors, the Eagle Forum and Cato Institute and the Internet Archive.

    In case the Supreme Court decides against hearing this case, plaintiffs have filed another suit Golan v. Ashcroft. Professors Larry Lessig and Edward Lee of Stanford and Professors Jonathan Zittrain and Charles Nesson of Harvard are representing the plaintiffs, along with the Denver law firm of Wheeler Trigg & Kennedy.

    Lawrence Golan is a conductor and University of Denver music professor. He and other plaintiffs, claim that the copyright law prevents them from performing works by notable foreign composers by making the royalty fees for performing the music cost-prohibitive. Furthermore, they argue that the law violates the limitations imposed on copyrights by the copyright clause of the U.S. Constitution, namely that copyrights be limited in duration and that they "promote the Progress of Science and useful arts."

    David Green ===========

    [material deleted]