15.457 copyright principles & on archiving/preservation

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 01:35:00 EST

             Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 06:33:33 +0000
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: IFLA & IPA Copyright Principles & Draft Statement on the
    Archiving and Preserving of Digital Information.

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    January 17, 2002

       International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
                      & International Publishers' Association (IPA)
                             Establish Joint Steering Group

                  Librarians and Publishers Work to a Common Agenda
                      <http://www.ifla.org/III/misc/pr310801.htm>

                 Publishers and Librarians Promote Common Principles
                      on Copyright in the Electronic Environment
                      <http://www.ifla.org/V/press/ifla-ipa.htm>

    Here are some principles hammered out between IFLA and the IPA on
    copyright. The announcement below also refers to other joint statements
    between these international bodies of librarians and publishers, including
    a draft statement on the Archiving and Preserving of Digital Information.

    David Green
    ===========

    * While the fundamental principles underlying copyright protection in
    the print environment remain the same in the electronic environment (in
    this sense, "digital is not different"), the Group recognises that the
    advent of new technologies has fundamentally changed methods of publication
    and dissemination as well as rights management (in this sense, "digital is
    different").

    * Bridging the digital divide is best achieved by government
    programmes increasing funding for the provision of books and other
    publications in libraries as well as for connecting end-users to the
    Internet, especially in developing countries and disadvantaged groups in
    developed nations.

    * Exceptions and limitations to copyright in the public interest
    remain necessary in the electronic environment, in order to maintain an
    equitable balance between the rights of creators and distributors and the
    needs of users but the nature and extent of exceptions and limitations must
    be assessed by applying the three step test.

    * Libraries are key players in ensuring long-term preservation
    archiving of electronic information, through appropriate arrangements with
    publishers. However, the conditions of access and other technical and
    policy issues require further discussion among stake holders.

    IPA and IFLA will promote the above principles to their respective
    memberships (see www.ipa.-uie.org and www.ifla.org )

    >Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:26:43 +0100
    >From: Sjoerd Koopman <Sjoerd.Koopman@IFLA.NL>
    >>

    >The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
    >(IFLA) and the International Publishers' Association (IPA) have
    >established a joint steering group to work together on matters of
    >common interest.
    >
    >Joint statements have been published recently - see:
    >
    >"Librarians and publishers working to a common agenda" at:
    ><http://www.ifla.org/III/misc/pr310801.htm>
    >
    >and:
    >
    >"Publishers and librarians promote common principles on copyright in
    >the electronic environment " at:
    ><http://www.ifla.org/V/press/ifla-ipa.htm>
    >
    >A next statement is under preparation: Joint Statement on the
    >Archiving and Preserving of Digital Information (see draft text
    >below).
    >
    >We would like to solicit your opinion about this new statement.
    >Please let us have your comments at <ifla@ifla.org>.
    >
    >Thank you in anticipation of your reaction,
    >
    >Ross Shimmon
    >Secretary General IFLA
    >
    >IFLA HQ
    >Prins Willem Alexanderhof 5
    >2595 BE The Hague
    >Netherlands
    >
    >Tel: 31-70-3140884
    >Fax: 31-70-3834827
    >E-mail: ifla@ifla.org

    "DRAFT FOR DISCUSSION"
    INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF LIBRARY ASSOCIATIONS AND INSTITUTIONS

    AND

    INTERNATIONAL PUBLISHERS ASSOCIATION
    JOINT STATEMENT ON THE ARCHIVING AND PRESERVING OF DIGITAL INFORMATION

    BACKGROUND
    Preserving digital information is becoming an increasingly
    urgent challenge for both libraries and publishers,
    as the amount of digital information is growing
    quickly and preservation policies and techniques
    for this format of material have received little or no priority.
    While many electronic publications are produced in both
    print and digital formats, although not always at the same
    time or in identical versions, more and more material is
    produced as "born digital", that is, it has no print equivalent.
    It is estimated that much of this type of material has
    already been lost, as some producers have deleted
    their electronic publications without ensuring that a
    long-term archiving process was implemented.
    The need is pressing. While the costs of long-term
    archiving are high, the cost of doing nothing would be
    disastrous.

    Libraries have traditionally taken care of the
    publications they have acquired, and have saved
    the physical artifact because they wished to safeguard
    the information contained in the artifact. With digital
    information the safeguarding of the content becomes
    a shared responsibility between the producer and the
    collector of the information. While both publishers
    and libraries are committed to maintaining digital files,
    efforts to date are inconsistent, fragmented and
    underfunded.

    PRINCIPLES AND RECOMMENDATIONS
    Both IFLA and IPA wish to work together to obtain
    some practical and long-term results in the area of
    digital preservation. They therefore advocate the
    following principles and recommendations:

    1. An increasing amount of information published
    only in electronic form has enduring cultural and
    documentary significance and is just as important
    as information published in more traditional forms.

    2. The long-term availability of this information is
    required and action must be taken now to make
    this possible.

    3. Both organizations will work to make long-term
    archiving and preservation a key agenda item
    internationally.

    4. Both organizations will encourage the development
    of industry standards, systems, and research for digital
    archiving and preservation, including identifying funding
    opportunities to support such work.

    5. While publishers generally can ensure the short-term
    archiving of their publications so long as these
    publications are economically viable, libraries are
    best-placed to take responsibility for long-term
    archiving through appropriate arrangements with
    publishers.

    6. Since national libraries have the mandate to
    acquire and preserve the published heritage in
    their respective countries, and most are experimenting
    with the acquisition of digital publications, these
    libraries, with other leading libraries and organizations,
    should take the lead responsibility for long-term
    archiving of digital publications;

    7. A publisher/library working group will further
    develop joint initiatives regarding the technical,
    economic and policy issues of digital preservation.

    --

    ============================================================== NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted; neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor: <mailto:david@ninch.org> ============================================================== See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at <http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>. ==============================================================