15.465 rationale of e-text

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 05:26:45 EST

             Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:20:45 +0000
             From: "Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak" <sobkow@amu.edu.pl>
             Subject: Re: 15.460 rationale of e-text

    Wendell Piez wrote:

    > Even some ways that would give you broader range for exploration than the
    serial
    > alphabetic presentation of the book.
    [...]
    > This may be a bit extreme. We are still at the point where we are, for the
    > most part, imitating what we do with print in our electronic efforts --
    > read, peruse, look up. The capabilities of electronic interfaces to do new
    > things, or make lighter work of old things, are still largely unexplored

    I couldn't agree more.

    For a few years now I have been working on a project designed to create a
    Multi-Access Dictionary, one which will lay open for the learner/user _all_
    the normally hidden or implicit information in a machine-readable
    dictionary. Current EFL electronic dictionaries are still rather restricted
    in terms of search types which they allow: whole-text, part-of-speech
    filtering, slang/colloquial flags, one or two more access methods. This is
    a tiny proportion of what is (easily) technically possible and
    pedagogically/lexicographically desirable. For a short presentation of my
    MAD project consult:

    http://elex.amu.edu.pl/~sobkow/mad.htm

    WS
    =======================