15.481 tools

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 04:20:45 EST

       [1] From: "McCullers, Jeff" <JeffM@lee.k12.fl.us> (97)
             Subject: RE: 15.477 tools

       [2] From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu> (54)

             Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:16:13 +0000
             From: "McCullers, Jeff" <JeffM@lee.k12.fl.us>

    That accursed teleological snare, while always set out in plain sight, can
    easily capture unwary interlopers, and I thank Willard for releasing me from
    it so gently and so adroitly. I'll try to watch my step.

    Having said that, having dusted myself off and looked around for a safer
    path, I took the liberty of backtracking a bit and skimmed over a few of the
    past Humanist postings. I found, to my great delight, that there remains a
    lively and rich conversation about what humanities computing might be after
    all, and that there are many among you who are willing to consider with some
    generosity who it is who might be permitted license to actually "do"
    humanities computing.

    As has by now no doubt become embarrassingly apparent, I am not a humanities
    computing scholar by appointment, nor by tenure, nor by any institutional
    affiliation of note. I am a one-time high school teacher of humanities,
    drama, and English literature, who now, midway through his journey, finds
    himself the anointed grant officer for a public school district in Florida.

    I am, however, a student in Boulding's "invisible college" of those who have
    (or are working toward) a "vision of the nature of the transition through
    which we are passing and who are determined to devote their lives to
    contributing towards its successful fulfillment."

    In this sense, since the humanities (defined as broadly as possible) are
    most precious to me as a human and as an educator (um, again, broadly
    defined), and since I have found the computer to be far, far more than "just
    a tool" and rather more than a prosthesis, then the intersection of
    humanities and computing must surely be of great interest to me, and, in
    fact, this is so.

    Willard notes the kinship of humanities computing to both experimental
    sciences and to arts and crafts. Blood is held to be thicker than water, and
    so this kinship likely transcends departments, disciplines, and funding
    sources. Before I make some foolish newbie observation on this, however, I
    will close this message and go read more in the Humanist archives. Perhaps
    then I can make of myself a better traveling companion, and avoid the snares
    in this dark and wonderful wood.

    Kind regards,
    Jeff

    P.S. As an aside, I wonder if we might go ahead and formalize the founding
    of Kenneth Boulding's "invisible college." We ought to have a motto, school
    colors, a school song, and...we need a mascot!

    While we're avoiding snares in the wood in this belabored extended metaphor,
    my vote for a mascot for our "invisible college" would be the legendary
    Will-O-The-Wisp, which I understand was a mysterious light that would lead
    travelers from the well-trodden paths into treacherous marshes.

    While "go Wispies" lacks much in euphony and potency, it is pleasingly
    perverse. Please give it every consideration.