15.500 a search engine's crime; OpenURL standard

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 03:20:46 EST

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (38)
             Subject: Search Engine's Display of Copyright Photos Is
                     Infringement

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (71)
             Subject: OpenURL Standardization Moving Forward

             Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:08:39 +0000
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: Search Engine's Display of Copyright Photos Is Infringement

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    February 11, 2002

               Court Rules Search Engine's Display of Copyright Photos
                      Is Infringement (Arriba Soft vs. L.Kelly)
                     http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/174326.html
                     http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,44953,00.html

    >Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:13:52 +0200
    >From: amalyah keshet <akeshet@netvision.net.il>
    >>To: mcn-l@mcn.edu

    Court Rules Search Engine's Display of Copyright Photos Is
    Infringement (Arriba Soft vs. L.Kelly)

    An Internet search engine violated a professional photographer's copyright
    by displaying full-sized images of his work through "inline linking," a
    federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.
    The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found that small, low-quality
    thumbnail images were covered by the "fair use" provision of the Copyright
    Act, but reversed a lower court opinion that found the display of larger
    high-quality images also was protected.
    http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,44953,00.html

    ---
    You are currently subscribed to mcn_mcn-l as: david@ninch.org
    leave-mcn_mcn-l-1279361O@listserver.americaneagle.com

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:09:23 +0000 From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> Subject: OpenURL Standardization Moving Forward

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources from across the Community February 11, 2002

    National Information Standards Organization Reports OpenURL Standardization Moving Forward http://library.caltech.edu/openurl

    Background Material: "Open Linking in the Scholarly Information Environment Using the OpenURL Framework" Herbert Van de Sompel, Oren Beit-Arie, D-Lib Magazine (March 2001) http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march01/vandesompel/03vandesompel.html

    News here from NISO about progress in establishing the Open URL Standard, which is designed to enable, initially, the transfer of bibliographic material across multiple sources.

    David Green ===========

    >Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:27:11 -0500 >From: "Marilyn Geller" <marilyn.geller@mindspring.com> >To: Multiple recipients of list <arl-ejournal@arl.org> > Bethesda, Md., USA - (February 11, 2002) NISO, the National Information Standards Organization, reports that Committee AX, the NISO standards committee that is preparing the OpenURL Standard, met on January 24th and 25th at the CNRI headquarters in Reston, Virginia and continues to make significant progress.

    Eric Van de Velde, the committee chair, summing up progress to date said that existing applications of OpenURL technology only scratch the surface of what else is feasible. Currently, we apply OpenURL technology to bibliographic citations. In the near future, we may apply it to many other types of information: subject headings, legal documents, biological (genome sequences), etc. Currently, we encode OpenURL in an HTTP GET or POST format. In the near future, we may encode OpenURL links in XML. Currently, we think of OpenURL links being provided by specific information providers. In the near future, third parties may provide OpenURL links for any information resource. With these and other opportunities yet to be explored, it is obvious that OpenURL is a technology in its infancy, and we should think of the emerging OpenURL standard as the beginning of a long-term evolutionary process.

    To insure that progress made so far will continue to have value, the committee adopted the OpenURL draft originally submitted to NISO as Version 0.1 of the standard. This document is available as part of the official record on the committee's web site. For complete details and background information, please refer to the OpenURL web site at http://library.caltech.edu/openurl.

    About NISO: NISO is the only U.S. group accredited by the American National Standards Institute to develop and promote technical standards for use in information delivery services providing voluntary standards for libraries, publishers and related information technology organizations. All NISO standards are developed by consensus under the guidance of experts and practitioners in the field to meet the needs of both the information user and the producer. For information about NISO's current standardization interests and membership possibilities, please visit the NISO website at http://www.niso.org.

    For additional information contact NISO Headquarters at (301) 654-2512. Email: nisohq@niso.org

    --

    ============================================================== NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted; neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor: <mailto:david@ninch.org> ============================================================== See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at <http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>. ==============================================================