15.580 JoDI survey & calls for papers

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 01:47:50 EDT

             Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 06:43:15 +0100
             From: JoDI Announcements <jodi@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
             Subject: JoDI: a survey and two 'calls for papers'

    This special JoDI notice invites your participation in three ways:

    - A user survey
    - A call for papers for a special issue on Digital Libraries in East Asia
    - A call for papers for a special issue on Hypertext Criticism: Writing
    about Hypertext

    USER SURVEY

    JoDI remains free to users due to the efforts and commitment of its editors
    and to sponsorship from the British Computer Society (BCS) and Oxford
    University Press (OUP). That this approach is popular with users is evident
    from the growing number of registrations to receive our alerts, and from
    the usage statistics for papers published in JoDI, and, looking ahead,
    perhaps in the two 'calls' below. JoDI may be popular, but is it optimal
    for you, our readers? At the request of the BCS, we want you to tell us
    about how you use JoDI. Below is a letter from Cliff McKnight, JoDI
    Editor-in-Chief, inviting you to participate in this survey.

    Dear Reader,

    I am writing to you, as a reader of JoDI, to ask you to take part in a short
    survey. We would like your views on the journal's content and presentation
    and any ways we can improve the information it provides. Please spare a few
    minutes to give us this useful feedback.

    We would like to hear from all JoDI readers, both from those who use the
    journal regularly and those who use it only occasionally.

    If you answer the questionnaire by Friday 26th April, you will be entered
    into a prize draw, giving you the chance of winning 100.

    So please go to http://www.bcs.org/jodisurvey to open the questionnaire,
    and answer it online.

    Thank you for your help - we look forward to hearing from you.

    Cliff McKnight, JoDI Editor-in-Chief, C.Mcknight@lboro.ac.uk

    A CALL FOR PAPERS FOR A SPECIAL ISSUE ON DIGITAL LIBRARIES IN EAST ASIA

    Guest Editor: Brian Bruya
    Submission deadline: 1 May, 2002

    This issue will look at some of the largest and most advanced digital
    libraries projects in East Asia. These projects each bring to the digital
    world a portion of the vast pre-Modern Chinese language corpus, such as
    oracle-bone carvings dating from as early as the 2nd Millennium BC, and Zen
    texts from as late as the 18th Century.
       From the call at http://jodi.ecs.soton.ac.uk/calls/dl-asia.html

    A CALL FOR PAPERS FOR A SPECIAL ISSUE ON HYPERTEXT CRITICISM: WRITING ABOUT
    HYPERTEXT

    Special issue editors: Jill Walker and Susana Tosca
    Submission deadline: 31 May, 2002

    Discussion and criticism of specific works of art is vital to the health of
    any art form. Criticism of hypertext literature and electronic literature
    is in many ways less well developed than both the works themselves and the
    more general theoretical discussions around hypertext in general. We wish
    to encourage a broad and inclusive discussion of hypertext criticism, and
    encourage contributors with experience as authors of electronic literature,
    as critics and as observers of the field. This issue will be a hypertext
    linked by the editors. Instead of requesting full length papers, we are
    soliciting short texts that will become the nodes of the hypertext.
       From the call at http://jodi.ecs.soton.ac.uk/calls/ht-writing.html