15.594 significant events in humanities computing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 02:15:10 EDT

       [1] From: Jan-Gunnar Tingsell <tingsell@hum.gu.se> (24)
             Subject: Re: The most significant events in humanities
                     computing?

       [2] From: Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel@mcmaster.ca> (11)
             Subject: History

             Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 06:55:24 +0100
             From: Jan-Gunnar Tingsell <tingsell@hum.gu.se>
             Subject: Re: The most significant events in humanities computing?

    >I would be grateful for your nomination of the 5 (or 4 or 6 or...) most
    >significant events in humanities computing since Roberto Busa's work began
    >in the late 1940s. Please supply dates with your nominations and some
    notes on
    >why you think your nominated events are worthy. Any kind -- institutional
    >initiatives, publications, system designs, whatever -- qualify.

    There are three events I will give prominence:
    1. the World Wide Web and HTML (1992 ?), a new way to handle non-technical
    information
    2. the first ALLC/ACH joint conference in Toronto 1989, and
    3. Humanist discussion list, both contributed to the awareness of new
    possibilities.
    There are other events, too, of course, but I think theese are the most
    significant to all the
    humanities society.

              /Jan-Gunnar

    --
    Jan-Gunnar Tingsell             <tingsell@hum.gu.se>
    Humanistiska fakultetens dataservice

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 07:03:38 +0100 From: Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel@mcmaster.ca> Subject: History

    Dear Willard,

    Regarding your question about significant events - a few years ago a talented English undergraduate built a system for a multimedia class that created timelines on demand out of events in computing in the humanities. The site is:

    http://cheiron.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~history/

    While the database is neither accurate nor complete it does have a number of events in it and produces interactive timelines. I would be happy to update the database if people send me corrections.

    Yours,

    Geoffrey Rockwell --