15.598 perceived value of a European Graduate School PhD?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 01:49:35 EDT

             Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 06:40:16 +0100
             From: Sherrin Roberts <sherrin@dfw.nationwide.net>
             Subject: Re: 15.591 conference, symposium, summer seminars, forum

    Dr. McCarty,
    I have been lurking on your list for a couple of years now and generally
    enjoy the posts very much. My question is a little different from what
    you usually get, so forgive me if it is inappropriate.

    I was recently accepted to the European Graduate School (www.egs.com) PhD
    program. I'm very excited about it, but as an American I don't know very
    much about the European system. As a professor-not-in-the-US, based on a
    cursory look at the website, would you say this will be a marketable
    degree should I look for a teaching position in the UK or Europe upon
    completion? If you or any of your colleagues have any comments or
    opinions, I would appreciate it. As I said, I'm very excited about the
    program, and I'm not really trying to decide whether to attend or not--I'm
    more interested in the perceived value of the degree outside the US.

    Thanks in advance for your time,
    Sherrin Rieder