15.611 pencil and paper

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 02:40:42 EDT

       [1] From: "Al Magary" <al@magary.com> (11)
             Subject: Re: 15.603 pencil and paper

       [2] From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Mats_Dahlstr=F6m=22?= (38)
                     <Mats.Dahlstrom@hb.se> (by way
             Subject: Ang: 15.608 pencil and paper

             Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 07:35:20 +0100
             From: "Al Magary" <al@magary.com>

    > *pencil and paper* n. An archaic information storage and transmission
    > device that works by depositing smears of graphite on bleached wood pulp.
    Etc.

    No one has yet mentioned in this hacker's jest the arrogance of new
    technologists toward the old creaky stuff. Interestingly, this definition
    satirizes the new technology without restoring the value of the old.
    And--infinite mirrors here--in this discussion we are congratulating
    ourselves for recognizing the value of the old even while exploiting the
    new. (But--tsk--in plaintext, not HTML. Where is something to scribble
    with when you need it?)

    Al Magary