16.018 Urgent Business Proposals

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 01:39:12 EDT

       [1] From: Andrew Brook <abrook@ccs.carleton.ca> (18)
             Subject: Re: 16.014 Urgent Business Proposals (419)

       [2] From: "Al Magary" <al@magary.com> (11)

             Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 06:21:17 +0100
             From: Andrew Brook <abrook@ccs.carleton.ca>

    Willard and others with an interest in Canada:

    It turns out that one of the biggest recent Nigerian scam operations was
    actually run out of Toronto! Canadian police arrested I think four
    people there who were sending millions of emails a month representing
    themselves as in Nigeria with millions of dollars of clandestine booty
    to get out of the country. Does it count that the scammers at least
    *were* Nigerian? Apparently they were: Nigerians legally living in
    Canada as immigrants.

    Andrew

    --

    Andrew Brook, Professor of Philosophy Director, Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies President, Canadian Philosophical Association 2217 Dunton Tower, Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6 Phone: 613 520-3597 Fax: 613 520-3985 Email: abrook@ccs.carleton.ca Web: www.carleton.ca/~abrook

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 06:21:40 +0100 From: "Al Magary" <al@magary.com> Subject: Re: 16.014 Urgent Business Proposals (419)

    Bill Schippers commented: > Thank you Willard, for reminding me and telling others that I'm still flesh and > blood. Sometimes I wonder....

    One of my PCs got the Badtrans virus yesterday and started sending (or trying to send) random emails to my address book with, of course, attachments containing the virus. I think I stopped it but Windows deposited a copy of the purported message from "Al Magary" in my inbox anyway, making me wonder if a doppelganger lurked in cyberspace. It's as offputting as seeing one's name within quotation marks.

    "Al Magary" (I think)