16.089 Samuel Butler on prosthesis

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 04:04:56 EDT

       [1] From: Terry Butler <Terry.Butler@ualberta.ca> (31)
             Subject: Re: 16.087 Butler on prosthesis?

       [2] From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi (20)
                     <tripathi@amadeus.statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
             Subject: Reference related to Butler on prosthesis?

       [3] From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi (16)
                     <tripathi@amadeus.statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
             Subject: Re: Reference related to Butler on prosthesis?

             Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:45:33 +0100
             From: Terry Butler <Terry.Butler@ualberta.ca>

    At 08:43 AM 6/22/02 +0100, you wrote:
    > Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 16, No. 87.
    > Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
    > <http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/>
    > <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/>
    >

    > Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 08:40:43 +0100
    > From: Willard McCarty <w.mccarty@btinternet.com>
    > >
    >To all those who know the writings of Samuel Butler well, this query: did
    >he say (and if so where) that tools are an extension of the body?

    I recollect you will find the idea developed in Butler's scientific works:
    Life and Habit: An Essay After a Completer View of Evolution, 1878;
    Evolution, Old and New, 1879; Unconscious Memory, 1880; and especially Luck
    or Cunning as the Main Means of Organic Modification?, 1887.

    In the latter, according to the Gutenberg on-line version at
    ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/etext04/lckc10h.htm:
    "It should be observed also that the distinction between the organism and
    its surroundings - on which both systems are founded - is one that cannot
    be so universally drawn as we find it convenient to allege. There is a
    debatable ground of considerable extent on which res and me, ego and non
    ego, luck and cunning, necessity and freewill, meet and pass into one
    another as night and day, or life and death. No one can draw a sharp line
    between ego and non ego, nor indeed any sharp line between any classes of
    phenomena. Every part of the ego is non ego qu organ or tool in use, and
    much of the non ego runs up into the ego and is inseparably united with it;
    still there is enough that it is obviously most convenient to call ego, and
    enough that it is no less obviously most convenient to call non ego, as
    there is enough obvious day and obvious night, or obvious luck and obvious
    cunning, to make us think it advisable to keep separate accounts for each."