16.095 evaluation of music IR and music DL systems?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 03:52:29 EDT

             Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:42:06 +0100
             From: "J. Stephen Downie" <jdownie@uiuc.edu>
             Subject: Input sought: Evaluation of Music IR and Music DL systems

    Dear Colleagues:

    Dr. Ellen Voorhees, of the National Institute of Standards and
    Technology (United States), has just submitted her keynote white paper
    for the Music Information Retrieval/Music Digital Library Evaluation
    Workshop (Joint Conference on Digital Libraries 2002, 18 July 2002). I
    am pre-releasing Dr. Voorhees' excellent discussion of the background of
    the Text REtrival Conference (TREC) and its potential applicability as a
    model for MIR/MDL evaluation. I hope that the early release of the paper
    will prompt responses from all those interested in MIR/MDL evaluation
    issues in particular, and IR/DL evaluation in general.

    Whither Music IR Evaluation Infrastructure: Lessons to be Learned from
    TREC
    http://music-ir.org/evaluation/voorhess.pdf
    also at:
    http://www.itl.nist.gov/iaui/894.02/works/papers/jcdl_wkshop.pdf

    If anything in Dr. Voorhees paper prompts a comment or an argument or a
    suggestion, please share it with the group or with me personally at
    jdownie@uiuc.edu. Even if you do not have a compelling interest in
    MIR/MDL issues, but have some experience in other evaluation projects, I
    both welcome and encourage your feedback.

    If possible, I would like to gather up some of the salient responses for
    inclusion as an appendix to handouts that will be given to participants
    of this workshop and the upcoming Panel on MIR evaluation at the
    International Conference on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR 2002,
    Paris), etc. to aid in our discussions. So, if you would be so kind as
    to indicate that it would be acceptable to you that we reproduce your
    comments, etc., I would appreciate it greatly.

    Cheers, and I hope all is well with each of you.
    J. Stephen Downie

    Background URLS:

    Conference and Workshop URLS
    http://www.ohsu.edu/jcdl/
    http://www.ohsu.edu/jcdl/ws.html#W4

    Please visit the following URLs for other important details:

    http://music-ir.org/MIR_MDL_evaluation.html
    http://music-ir.org/JCDL_Workshop_Info.html

         "Research funding makes the world a better place"
    J. Stephen Downie, PhD
    Assistant Professor,
    Graduate School of Library and Information Science; and,
    Fellow, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (2000-01)
    (217) 351-5037