16.141 The War of the Apostrophe

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 04:34:52 EDT

             Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 09:22:40 +0100
             From: "John E. Benneth" <zeus@zzz.com>
             Subject: The War of the Apostrophe

    Francois Lachance's letter in Vol. 15 (15.463) of The Humanist calls
    attention to a CBC broadcast concerning efforts by the American Apostrophe
    Association to bring Albertsons, a U.S. supermarket, to insert the required
    apostrophe in its name as it appears on all of its 2,400 U.S.
    storefronts. I am one of the two officers of the AAA (not to be confused
    with the other AAA) and our campaign produced a lively exchange of letters.

    However, not only did we lose the battle, we lost the war. Albertsons has
    now filed SEC papers to eliminate the apostrophe from its corporate filing
    where this punctuation originally appeared and where, curiously, it
    continues to appear on the company's letterheads and telephone directory
    listings. So we are left feeling like Hamlets of the apostrophe--having
    dithered much but accomplished little.

    It occurs to us that you might enjoy having the file of correspondence
    generated by our undertaking. There are about a half dozen letters, and if
    Wolpole wrote in this vein--as Mr. Lachance suggests--the man did indeed
    have a sense of humor. However, inasmuch as we do not maintain a website,
    would you be willing to post our file in The Humanist archives so that we
    might be aable to direct others to it as need be? (And do let us know
    where to find the posting.) The file, incidentally, includes an
    interesting response from the company, defending its signage.

    John Benneth, President
    American Apostrophe Association
    Tigard, Oregon