16.160 School for Scanning; Visual Representations conference

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 02:03:09 EDT

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (159)
             Subject: European Workshops: School for Scanning, Hague;
                     ERPANET XML, Urbino

       [2] From: "Prof S.R.L. Clark" <srlclark@liverpool.ac.uk> (87)
             Subject: Reminder - Visual Representations + Liverpool (fwd)

             Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 06:47:11 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: European Workshops: School for Scanning, Hague; ERPANET
    XML, Urbino

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    August 14, 2002

    School for Scanning: Creating, Managing, and Preserving Digital Assets
    The Hague, The Netherlands: October 16-18, 2002
                          http://www.nedcc.org/hague/hague1.htm
                             U.S. Participation limited to 20

                                   * * * *

            ERPANET Announces Experts' Workshop on XML as Preservation Strategy
                         Urbino, Italy: October, 9th-11th 2002
                      http://www.erpanet.org/php/urbino/workshop.htm

    >Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:22:03 -0400
    >From: "Holly Houghton" <hhoughton@nedcc.org>
    >The Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC) Announces:School for
    Scanning: Creating, Managing, and Preserving Digital Assets
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    October 16-18, 2002
    Koninklijke Bibliotheek - The National Library of the Netherlands
    The Hague, The Netherlands

    The conference, which will be presented entirely in English, is funded in
    part by The Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) and the
    Online Computer Library Center (OCLC). It is co-sponsored by the European
    Commission on Preservation and Access (ECPA) and the Koninklijke
    Bibliotheek - The National Library of the Netherlands (KB).

    What is the School for Scanning? This conference provides current and
    essential information for collections managers who are seeking to create,
    manage, and preserve digital assets. Participants will leave the
    conference better equipped to make informed choices regarding management of
    their digital projects. Although significant technical content will be
    presented, this is not a technician-training program. Conference content
    will include:

       Envisioning Our Digital Future
    Quality Control & Costs
    Copyright & Other Legal Issues
    Content Selection for Digitization

    Metadata
    Digital Asset Management
    Standards
    Digital Longevity & Preservation
    Text & Image Digitization

    Who Should Attend? Administrators within cultural institutions, as well as
    librarians, archivists, curators, and other cultural or natural resource
    managers dealing with paper-based collections, including photographs, will
    find the School for Scanning conference highly relevant and
    worthwhile. The complexion of this conference evolves with the
    technology. Although an audience of 150+ attendees is expected, the number
    of North American participants will be limited to 20.

       Registration information and a detailed agenda can be found at NEDCC's
    Website at
    <http://www.nedcc.org/hague/hague1.htm>http://www.nedcc.org/hague/hague1.htm
    . Questions specifically concerning registration procedures and
    information should be directed to Ginny Hughes at
    <mailto:ghughes@nedcc.org>ghughes@nedcc.org

    ============

    URBINO, ITALY: October, 9th-11th 2002
    EXPERTS WORKSHOP ON XML: Urbino, 9th - 11th October
    2002

    ERPANET, a European Commission funded project, is pleased to announce its
    second workshop event. It will address the relationship between digital
    preservation and XML. This event offers experts in this subject the
    opportunity to take part in an investigation of key topics in digital
    preservation.

    See the following details.

    WORKSHOP ON XML AS A PRESERVATION STRATEGY: Urbino, 9th - 11th October 2002

    XML is increasingly being used as a means for providing access to digital
    information and for preservation purposes. The focus of this second ERPANET
    workshop will concentrate on using XML as a tool in preserving the
    long-term value of this digital information. After introducing some key
    areas of digital preservation (metadata and trusted repositories), the
    workshop will facilitate a forum for discussing the strengths and
    weaknesses of XML. Practical experiences so far, issues with respect to
    different types of digital objects, and XML in the context of digital
    preservation strategies will be covered.

    The workshop will focus on six main areas:
    -Introduction in digital preservation (some principles) and the
    possible/potential role of XML
    -The role of XML as an exchange standard (e.g. METS) for distributed archives
    -XML as a preservation strategy (San Diego project; persistent objects),
    including different types of digital objects.
    -Some practical experiences
    -Preservation metadata and XML
    -Issues that should be further explored, investigated (building the
    research agenda)

    Who will benefit from attending the seminar?
    - Digital Information providers
    - Digital Information archivists
    - IT practitioners and experts
    - Public sector bodies
    - Content providers
    - Organisations with a stake in the long-term preservation of digital objects

    Benefits from attendance include:
    - Discussion of XML as a preservation strategy
    - An understanding of the variety of uses of XML
    - Access to practical examples and case studies
    - Interaction with experts and practitioners
    - Knowledge of tools for access
    - Knowledge of tools for preservation

    Programme

    Opening: 9th October at 9.30
    Closing: 11th October at 16:30

    Introductory speakers will include among others Andreas Rauber (ECDL),
    representatives from S.Diego Supercomputer Center, Ministero delleconomia e
    delle finanze. Specific experience will also be presented.

    Venue: Facolta' di giuridsprudenza, Aula magna, Urbino

    To register:
    Registration costs: 100 Euros. To receive joining instructions, please
    register before 20th September at: www.erpanet.org/php/urbino/workshop.htm
    For more details, contact: Italian.Editor@erpanet.org
    [material deleted]

             Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 06:46:30 +0100